Braces vs Wonky Teeth?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by LilMissFlugel, Nov 8, 2005.

1. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

At the moment i have a removable brace which i can take out to play but they have suggested train tracks for later on! has anyone used brace protecter things and do they work????:cool:
  2. NeilW

NeilW Member

My son is going through this too....

He currently has train tracks on his lower teeth and a removable brace on the top. However, the orthodentist want train tracks for the top too, as his bottom teeth stick out beyond the top at the moment...

HOWEVER, there's a theory that the local Dental Council MIGHT just approve a different sort of removable brace on the top "for educational reasons" (normally they will only fund train tracks). In his case, he needs to be able to play to get his GCSE music (and possible A-Level too..), so I've been nominated to call them and talk about it tomorrow :)

Currently he's suffering from blisters / ulcers from playing his baritone, and its making his mouth bleed...

He's not tried one of the guards (or at least he has, but only for rugby!)

Any comment from the tMp dentist in residence that might be of help to us??

(in my day they just took 4 teeth out, and pulled the top into place with a removable brace - leaving the bottom to sort itself out - which it did!!)
  3. iccle_ali_bali

iccle_ali_bali New Member

don't worry about brace's

Don't worry,

I had brace's, they look more scary than what they are :) I got brace's cause my teeth overlapped and my lip got caught in between my teeth when i played (ouch), so a brace was the only cure!!!
    You get given some wax stuff, it didn't work for me cause i kept eating it (not on purpose) so i got some plastic thing to place over my brace.... that just made it even worse than before lol.
    It is uncomfortable for the first few weeks cause your lip is rubbing against the metal. You'll find you will have to change your ambisure (can't spell it but u know what i mean) and you will use your diaphram alot more, which is good in the long run. When u have it tightened u might find it tender too but only for a couple of days :) You may find the higher or lower register may be affected but keep going at it and after a month or two you'll be fine.

I just had mine off, it feels soooooooo wierd i got to change my ambisure yet again. I don't know wat instrument u play but i play both tenor and french horn and i found the french horn easier as it has a smaller mouthpiece, but its different in everyone :D

So in other words to sum it up...... Don't Worry you will be fine.
    Tell me how you get on
    Hope that has been some help
  4. Di

Di Active Member

This sounds like another case for Cornetgirl, our resident superstar dentist. ;)
  5. Feefee

Feefee Member

Last year i wanted a retainer and was gunna go ahead but was told then i couldnt have a retainer and would have to have the whole lot done - both retainer and train tracks! As i was doing my AS level music i thought no way do i want to have train tracks so i stuck with my desision and said! NO!!
    i thought that if i had them it would jeopordise my chance of playing and as i want to become a brass teacher in the end i thought it was best not to! Plus theres the health side for me too!
    At the time i was also playing the Soprano cornet too which i didnt want to ruin -even though now i am on tenor horn!
    Even though my teeth ar a little wonky in places i still dont mind and felt it was the right desision at the time! And with a little perseverence my teeth are actually gettung straighter anyway without any braces so in th end its a gud result all round!
  6. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

i had braces, and i jus carried on playing as normal. it feels a bit wierd for a while and u have to find a place which is comfortable to put ur mouthpiece, but i never found a big problem because i had enough time to adjust myself before i had to play in any contests or anything.... i did my gcse music with my train tracks on, with no problem. i suppose it jus depends how determined you are to play with them on, and how sensitive you are to pain. if u can jus battle on you will have no real problems!!:redface:
  7. tenorhorn10

tenorhorn10 New Member

I had braces and tried the plastic strips to stop the blocks from rubbing and found that they fell off and made it even more difficult to play. I changed to a smaller mouthpiece which helped me a little bit - but in the end I stopped as I wasn't playing regularly with a band. Watch out for fixed retainers ( metal strips fixed on your teeth) I still have a fixed retainer on my lower teeth but refused to have one on my top set as they are quite sharp and would be uncomfortable when playing. It is a pain but in my case it was worth it in the long run! :D
  8. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

You can also get this lovely gel stuff from the dentist to put over your train tracks to stop it rubbing on your gums. It comes in nice bright colours, red is good though as it looks like you have had all your teeth knocked out. Great fun fooling teachers!!
  9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I had braces on my top teeth. At first it was a nightmare, because i couldnt play at all. It slowly and gradually got better. I started to wear a brace protector which certainly helped with the pain of braces digging into your lip.
    Its never the same playing with braces but if its the best thing to do for your teeth then its probably for the best. In the long run its definately the best thing to do, even if it means the playing has to suffer for a relatively small period of time.

Good luck.
  10. Di

Di Active Member

I realise the question is slightly different as it looks like you've decided to go ahead and need advice on the brace protectors, but there are a few more opinions on braces here.
  11. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

I havnt decided quite yet and they arent REALLY needed and its my decision and need advice!:biggrin:
  12. Percussionists are alright ,we can eat sweets or whatever when playing and it doesn't matter what's in our mouth. :D
  13. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

My dentist told me that I should get a brace, but I chose wonky teeth. I didn't want it to affect my playing, and at the age you're at now you might want to start auditioning for NCBB and NYBB and entering solo contests. Is it worth taking that risk that braces might affect your playing if they're not really needed? Don't forget you wont only get affected by them when you get them put on, but they're get taken off as well. :(

Vicki x :)
  14. BOB_

BOB_ Member

i know several brass players that have had braces and it only affected there playing for acouple of weeks when they had them on and for the week after they had them removed so there nothing to worry about like ali bali said:biggrin:
  15. Melph

Melph Member

I came up against this when I was younger and it was recommended not to have braces as would effect my playing - I choose to have 4 teeth removed to allow the remaining teeth to settle better - what has this left me with?

Try and avoid this option if at all possible!
  16. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

tnx 4 all the advice will probs say no wonky teeth arent that bad!!
  17. andreww

andreww Member

i had my front left tooth knocked out by my little sister (god bless her!!) about 7 years ago and now have a cap, the problem i've had is with tonguing. Every year or so i have to have a complete new cap put on to match my teeth colour but this alters the position my tongue strikes the back of my teeth because the dentist cant build it up at the same length or angle it use to be. Im taking in my cornet next time and refusing to leave till im happy!
  18. madsaz

madsaz Member

its interesting to see the range of opinions on here.

One of our players (most definately fully grown) is trying to get his teeth sorted - he has tried to pay with train tacks on and really doesn't care about pain - in his case his ombuchure has been completely knackered and he got it taken off - we had the British Open & Nationals coming up!

I also know people who have played fine with a brace (my best friend at school for instance & she always sounded fine).

I had a removable brace and gave up on that in the end - the orthodontist kept clipping it onto my lip and laughing (not deliberatly but he didn't see how much of an issue a lip injury is). My teeth aren't too bad now, but certainly aren't straight.

THe question is more about exactly how **** your teeth will be if you say no balanced against what you have coming up that you don't want to jeopardise. Only you can decide.