Bourgeois 2nd BB Concerto final movement

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davetubaking, Feb 8, 2010.

1. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

I've uploaded my performance of the last movement which can be found here.

This last movement is called March although it's a distant relative of the marches you're likely to hear in most BB concerts. It does however have an inexorable forward motion and a definate steady tramp to the end. There are several huge climaxes and the most ridiculously difficult ensemble bell like passages which of course here are in perfect rhythmic precision - a sure give away that it's not a real performance - but then I'm not trying to imitate a real band but provide a different listening experience to an otherwise unperformed brass band masterpiece.

The first movement can be heard here and the second movement here.
  2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

To quote Elgar Howarth (as best as I can remember): "...(Bourgeois) pinning our ears back with a sound that is Shostakovich".

It was on the strength of that comment that I started listening to Shostakovich (and because I liked the Bourgeois). Glad I did.
  3. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

Yes there's some shostakovitch in Bourgeois early BB works. Interestingly about the second movement he said to me he was trying to outdo Messiaen! Not sure I would have guessed that although the second movement must be about as dissonant and agressive as Bourgeois got in any of his BB works.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Happy memories of this piece, thankyou Dave. I'll say it again - why hasn't this piece been recorded?!!!!!!
  5. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

I'll join that chorus.

Interestingly an MD has contacted me to say he's really keen to get his band to take this piece on with a view to performance and possible recording. Lets wait and see:D
  6. doubleplug

doubleplug New Member

I have a recording circa 80's, first time Brass Bands were invited to the Proms I think. Black Dyke and Grimethorpe massed bands. Just waiting for the RNCM Festival Bourgeois celebration - PH hint
  7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Just out of interest, have you tried emailing Paul and asking him whether that might be a possibility?