Borrowing players for Butlins

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chriscole, Nov 27, 2005.

1. chriscole

chriscole Member

Yiewsley and West Drayton Band are taking part in the Mineworkers contest in January. We need to borrow a couple of players from another band on a day transfer. We've been told that we can only borrow from our section (2nd) only and not from sections below.

I've discussed this with other bands who also seem unsure. We are waiting for the another copy of the rules to be sent as our contest sec seemed not to have received the first set.

Can anybody help on this?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mineworkers
    West Drayton Band
    Butlins Yiewsley
    Mineworkers contest
    Borrowing players
  3. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

I think this is highly unlikely and would be very surprised if this was the case.

4. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Actually this is correct. We had the same problem last year (this year?). You are or were only allowed to borrow a player who was registered in the same section as your band.

Doesn't make sense, I know. But that was the rule.

5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Michelle from murton was saying it might be to do with the fact all sections run at the same time? Shame really but can't wait until the contest.

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I guess that kinda makes sense, but who would be daft enough to borrow a player they weren't sure could make the performance?

I mean after all whilst Butlins has a good turnout aren't there at least 500 or so bands NOT going?

7. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Borrowed Players.

Why is Butlins any different than Pontins?Bands are allowed to borrow players from own section or the section below at Pontins.Are they scared that there are,in some cases,better players in lower sections, that are happy to help bands out if they are short of players?

8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

last year you were allowed to borrow from lower sections. Peterlee who were 2nd section borrowed our sop. we were 3rd section. However the problems arose when our section ran ahead of schedule. Just as John was signing on for Peterlee he had to abandon them and run back over the complex to play for us. The best way to clarify this is to ring the organiser Brian Eggleshaw. His number is on the letter sent with the signature forms failing that PM me and I'll put you in contact

9. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

Still don't see why you can't borrow players from a lower section band that aren't competing :confused: What's the problem with that?

10. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Borrowed Players.

Couldn't agree more.I had been asked last week to play for a higher section band than mine,only to find out today at Leamington that I will not be allowed to.
    STILL!!!!:confused:

11. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Yep, guess who filled in :D, got a good mention of 4barsrest for my pains though! :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mineworkers
    West Drayton Band
    Butlins Yiewsley
    Mineworkers contest
    Borrowing players
  13. Deano

Deano Member

Last year (January) we borrowed players from a lower section band that were not competing. We just put them on our registration sheet in red as our own players, we're doing the same thing this year unless we're told otherwise.

Need clarification soon though because the forms need to be in at the end of the week.

14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I am aware of one Championship Section band that used a player from a lower section band - with permission of the organisers and a 1st Section Band that were told they could not borrow from lower section - consequently they played with a player short.

Perhaps it's a case of who you know - agreed the rules do seem a bit odd if you are allowed borrowed players, where you borrow them from (same or below) can not have any effect on the contest.

15. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

We wanted to borrow from the section below us last January, but after checking the rules and contacting Brian, we were informed that bands could only borrow players from the same section. If this was not the case, as it appears to have not been by some of the responses, then Butlins need to clarify, make a decision and stick to it. The rules should be the same for all the competing bands.

16. chriscole

chriscole Member

I've now been fortunate to get a set of rules for this contest.

Rule 11a states:

'A band may borrow up to FOUR players from a band of the same National Grading. Any such players must be entered in red ink on the Player Information Sheet.'

However, I am concerned to hear different reports of what bands were able to do last year. We really could do with clarification from the organisers.

17. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Although the forms have to be in by Dec 8th you can ring up and change players, put new additions on ect. right until the day of the contest

18. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

But that doesn't get away from the fact that the rules state players can be borrowed from only the same section of the competing band!!! And yet last year, it appears some bands were allowed to borrow from lower section bands and some weren't!!

19. Deano

Deano Member

I think we should push for same grading or below, we've tried to borrow players from bands in the same section as us that are competing only to be told that they are unwilling to lend them just in case we are drawn immediately in front of them and then their players will not be fresh for their own performance.

I can not see the harm in borrowing players from lower section bands that are not even competing.

If they are going to inforce this rule, the number of withdrawals will be up from last year, the whole idea of borrowing players is to help bands attend not withdraw.

Anybody spoken to Stan Lippeatt about this, I know from talking to him last year he wanted the increase in borrowed players to increase the number of entries, this is a backward not forward step.

20. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Borrowed players at Butlins

In reply to Deano,I could not agree more.My own band is not competing at Butlins but are willing to let me play for a higher section band.As you say,the more bands that compete the better it is for the banding world.I have now played twice for a higher section band and have become,so to speak a member of their family.But saying that,I want to see my own band progress into the higher echelons of the brass band movement.It is always nice to be asked to play for another band,but as I have said before,my allegience is always going to be with my band.
    Still!!!!!!!:confused: CubbRep