Born again Cornet player advice for new instrument

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by andyuk, Dec 14, 2008.

1. andyuk

andyuk New Member

Hello everyone from a new member

I am returning to playing the cornet after a 26 year break I used to play for whitehaven band in Cumbria when i was still at school (Is it really 26 years time does fly cant believe it)

I am looking to buy a new Cornet i class myself as a complete new player again i cant remember a thing. Looking to spend upto say £600 but not fixed really on cost just want something that is going to last me.

Any advice appriciated am going to be in London over xmas so would like to buy while i am there as we have no dealers up here really.
  2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Welcome back to the dark side ;)

Like you, I had a long break, about the same as you; I found it took a good couple
    of years to feel like I was making a decent contribution to the band. On the cornet
    front, if you're serious about continuing (as I was) then I would advise sticking with
    the band cornet (if there is one available) until you can afford in the region of £1500,
    then buy a good professional instrument.

If you buy now (and this is just my own opinion of course) then you will likely
    end up with an instrument that you will want to change in a couple of years.

Of course, this being tMP, there will be someone along in a couple of minutes to
    tell you something completely different! :p

3. David Mann

David Mann Member

I agree, spend your money on a practice mute and lessons, it will be better value.