Boring Engineering Stuff....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by lynchie, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. lynchie

    lynchie Active Member

    Right, this is going to be of absolutely no interest to most of you, but I know there's a few engineers knocking about, and I could do with a bit of help. So those of you with no interest in pneumatics can switch off now...

    Right, I need to know what this symbol from my pneumatics board is for...

    [FONT=Courier New] ________|________[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New] |   |       |   |[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]-|  |---------|  |-[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New] |___|_______|___|[/FONT]
    I know it's a pretty awful drawing, but it's the best I could do in ASCII - just pretend the line around the outside is continuous, and the vertical lines inside overlap slightly. Anyway, from what I did in the lab it seemed to be an AND gate, but I don't know what the correct name for it is, everyone else seems to have done things a different way, and I have to write a lab report...

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. WoodenFlugel

    WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member


    In my current state, and given the acsii drawing its a bit difficult to tell for sure, but an AND gate / valve is a relevant name. Simple pneumatic logic...AND, OR, NOT: all available for you friendly "windy bits" supplier...;)

    I'm not sure where your input is - the top? To me that symbol looks more like an OR valve i.e one output or the other...but TBH I'm not sure....and frankly I CBA to find the proper symbol at this time of night.

    If you tested it and it gives an AND function then thats what it was.

    BTW did it have any markings on it? You could always cheat and tell me the product number and I'll check with the supplier...;)
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  3. TheMusicMan

    TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

    Paul... which are the input/ouput ports?
  4. lynchie

    lynchie Active Member

    sorry, should have mentioned that... the sides are the imput ports, the top is the output...

    Unfortunately it's all part of this weird "pneumate 200" thing they make us use to train us up, so no part numbers.

    Was just hoping someone would be inspired by my artwork and give me a posh name, but if not I'll just go with AND valve...
  5. TheMusicMan

    TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

    ... and the dotted line in the middle represents??
  6. lynchie

    lynchie Active Member

    Should be a solid line connecting the two vertical lines, which should be slightly longer... Damn me for not having a scanner...
  7. TheMusicMan

    TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

    I am not sure if there is a posh name for this, but it does look like an AND gate to me. With both inputs present, pressure is equalised (assuming same pressure at each input) and output through the top is permitted. With only 1 of either inputs present there is no pressure at the output.
  8. Jan H

    Jan H Moderator Staff Member

    yep, that's my thought as well.
  9. lynchie

    lynchie Active Member

    Thanks John! That means I was using the right thing, and I can explain how it works! You're a legend!