Borders Entertainment Contest - 3rd November

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Andy_Euph, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Who's going to the Borders this year?

Jayess Newbiggin will be heading (slightly) over the border and are looking forward to it :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi Alan
    St Ronan
    Scottish
    Borders Entertainment Contest
    Victoria hall
  3. littleFlugel

littleFlugel New Member

Brass SOunds Inverclyde and Coalburn silver are going :)

4. AlanD

AlanD Member

Tullis Russell Mills and Tullis Russell Intermediate Bands will be there :)

5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Word is there are 22 bands entered, should make for a good contest.

6. AlanD

AlanD Member

Possibly too long a day... I would rather less bands and a bit longer playing time.

7. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Spare a thought for the poor adjudicators....................

8. AlanD

AlanD Member

Which bands are all going them?

9. Euphjam

Euphjam Member

Apart from those already mentioned I think there will be Selkirk,Jedforest,St Ronans,Peebles,Langholm,Hawick,Irvine & Dreghorn,Annan.

Dumfries and Shotts normally enter but I'm not sure if they're entered this year. A band from IOM is listed on 4br which I'm guessing may be Manx concert (apologies if any of these guesses are incorrect).
    PS. I see that Coalburn have been listed earlier in the thread but afaik they will have been promoted to 1st section as of 1st November so I'm not sure on that one.

As for other entries I am unsure. Hope this helps a little.

10. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Promotions now take effect on 1 January of 2013 as far as I've been told.

11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

So now Scotland and England promote and relegate on the same date?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi Alan
    St Ronan
    Scottish
    Borders Entertainment Contest
    Victoria hall
  13. Euphjam

Euphjam Member

Oh well,everyday's a school day.

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Apparently so ...

3.2 Scottish Championship Contests
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3.2.1. The Scottish Championships will be run in accordance with the procedures described in Annex A "Procedures for the Regulation of Contests". The Scottish Championships results will determine the grading and allocation of bands to sections, as described in Annex C "Grading Procedures".
    3.2.2. The results of each section of the Scottish Championships will determine qualification for The National Championships in accordance with its rules (the "National Rules"). If the National Rules conflict with or do not cover provisions in the SBBA Rules, the SBBA Rules will have precedence unless otherwise decided by the Committee.
    3.2.3. At their first meeting following these contests, the Committee will classify all bands to the sections they consider them best suited for in accordance with the Grading Rules. All changes in grading will take effect from the first day of January each year.

http://www.sbba.org.uk/rules
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Just a quick question about this contest? Are the judges aware of the different sections that the competing bands are graded at?

With it being an open contest, this could have a major bearing.

16. AlanD

AlanD Member

They will know that the contest is open to section 2, 3 & 4 - not what section each band is in...

17. lynsey83

lynsey83 Member

Should be a good contest for all involved, it's always extremely well run and the voice over adjudication is great :)

18. lynsey83

lynsey83 Member

I think the adjudicators are informed what section each band is in - in our voice over adjudication last year Archie's comments started with "Shotts St Patricks..second section..."

Dont think it's that important TBH and I think the entry from these sections is extremely positive...looking forward to another great contest

Lynsey

19. Souter

Souter Member

Great day. Glad answered call last week to come back and play with Selkirk. Not even blown my nose since Scottish let alone a note, 2 hours of practice every night paid off with a win in 3rd section and best borders band :)

Thought the standard was excellent all day and wouldn't argue with results - first 3 same as mine listening to all bands. Great positive remarks on stage from both adjudicators. Was a tad disappointed with some of the music choices some bands really over extending ability and the music really suffered.

Hope everyone enjoyed the day in Selkirk it is a great wee toon and one of the best halls in Scotland for playing in.

20. its_jon

its_jon Member

Dave Young would be proud.

Yep ... such a shame when bands overstretch.

Simple music played extremely well is always a lot easier on the ear.

21. Souter

Souter Member

I'm sure Dave would have been looking down with a smile on his face. How the contest has grown since that first one in Selkirk way back and I think only 9 bands???

Didn't feel like a long day with 21 bands but it's the slickness of SBBBA that always amazes me. Results only 3 minutes after published time.

22. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member