Boosey and Hawkes Round Badge

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Does anyone know what year Boosey and Hawkes changed Sovereigns from the old round badge to being marked Besson?

Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Boosey and Hawkes
    Besson
    Hawkes Round
    old round badge
    Sovereigns
  3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

not sure of an exact date but its between 12 and 15 years ago

4. Despot

Despot Member

Thanks! I thought it might be something like that.

Saw a sov sop on sale on ebay advertised as 8 years old, yet it has the old round badge and upright tuning slide.

Might be a perfectly good instrument, looks ok, but as always with Ebay, take everything with a pinch of salt!

5. markyboy

markyboy Member

I saw that sop for sale on ebay as well and it must be at least 13 or 14 years old.
    I remember a new Sovereign soprano coming out in 1991 which they kindly lent me to try out.
    I took it home and promptly dropped it on the the floor and put a dint in it. When I returned it nothing was said but if anyone from B+H reads this, my belated apologies!

6. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I have been (un)reliably informed by my soprano pals that there is no such thing as a 'perfectly good' sovereign soprano. Poor tuning. Best off going for an old yamaha

Igg

7. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I have a Besson Sovereign 981 Eb tuba which was made in 1991.
    I used to play a 982 regularly and this was made in 1989.
    Looks like 'globe' Sovereigns were made in the 70's & 80's but definately not in the 90's.
    The best way to check out the true age of a B&H/Besson instrument is by the serial number.
    Click on this link to the Besson website to do this;
    http://www.musicgroup.com/Instruments/service/FrameSerialnumbers.htm

Advertisers on Ebay don't often disclose serial numbers but there is no harm in asking for it and then doing the search.

8. eric

eric Member

Besson soveriegn cornets were definitely on sale at the 1985 area.

9. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

You buy that Sovereign sop, and I'll exchange it for a nice old Yamaha, juts like you want...

bwahahahaha!! :lol:

10. Highams

Highams Member

I had a 'round badge blue cased' Sov euph when they first came out, it was about the 200th. to be made and was excellent, obviously because they still cared about them at that stage !

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

11. bennem

bennem Member

I have one of these sops with the upright tuning slide rather than the lead pipe tuning.

It's OK not wonderful but OK. It is a sop!

If you are a "full time" sop player then I would go for another instrument. But if you are looking for something to play on and take out now and again go for it.

BTW I bought mine brand new for £480 in 1996.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Boosey and Hawkes
    Besson
    Hawkes Round
    old round badge
    Sovereigns
  13. eric

eric Member

Have tried the above link but it dont work !
    I think serial numbers must have been around 670000 for the change to besson sov and around 80000 to round badge besson. Does any one know when the first soveriegn instruments were built ?

14. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

The link DID work when I made my original posting last August!
    I tried it the other day myself and it didn't.
    I rang Besson and they knew it wasn't working but couldn't help me!

I believe Sovereigns were first made in 1974. I think the first instruments were euphonium, cornet and bass trombone.