Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Hell's_Trombone, Jan 7, 2006.

1. I never read books (except for the occasional roald dahl classics!) and as I heard some people discussing how great a book, called The Timetravellers Wife (by Audrey Nifenegger) was, i decided to go to my local library and get the book out. Last night i finished the book and I cant believe it. Ive never read anything as brilliant in my life! I was just wondering if anyone else has read it, or if they know any other books that they could recommend?!
  2. Di

Di Active Member

You'll find a few good recommendations here :)
  3. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

Im currently reading Angels & Demons by Dan Brown, hes the geezer that wrote the Da Vinci Code.
    Apparently if you are wanting to read the Da Vinci Code then read Angels & Demons first as its not as good (although i think its great) and it gives you chance to get used to his style of writing.

The best book i have even read is called The Partner by John Grisham. I seriously couldnt put it down!
  4. Tack7

Tack7 Member

I read all 4 Dan Brown books 1 after the other, theyre all very interesting & thought provoking. Id recommend them to anyone.

5. gawber

gawber Active Member

I have just read "Too Many Mothers" a biography by Roberta Taylor (she's the actress who plays Gina Gold in The Bill)
    The title refers to her being illegitimate and brought up by her nanny and aunts. The book itself is a very frank account of her early life and extended family.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

OK, well here are two books that I've read recently ( I only have time to read children's books)

Silverfin by Charlie Higson (he was asked to write it by the Ian Fleming foundation I think, it's a story about James Bond at Eton and begins the tale of how he got to be the James Bond we know. The second one called BloodFever I think, has just been released)

Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo
    (Set in WW1. Any of his books are worth a read - he's very good and was the Children's Laureate 2003-2005)

I, Coriander by Sally Gardner (Was voted by children across the country as the winner in the 9-11 category of the Nestle Book Prize 2005)

I thoroughly enjoyed these, and would recommend them to anyone. Don't be put off just because they're aimed at Children - I love children's books!
  7. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

You're right - The Time Traveller's Wife is absolutely brilliant. I was virtually in tears at the end of it.

You might like Coalescent by Stephen Baxter.
  8. u were virtually in tears?? i was cryin properly for aaages, my glasses were soakin! i think i kinda messed up the pages of the book too!!
  9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Never read it but I probably will now.
    'Join me' by Danny Wallace and 'Googlewhack' by Dave Gorman are both great :biggrin:
    And Starseeker by Tim Bowler is brilliant I kept meaning to read it but never did then I got it for Christmas and its great.
  10. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

I just finished reading "Shoot To Kill" by Michael Asher. It is his true account of serving with 2 Para and the SAS in Northern Ireland at the height of the Troubles and living here, its hard to believe it all happened only 30 years ago. A very good book indeed.

11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm just finishing off a book I got for Christmas, "The forgotten voices of the holocaust". It's a compilation of true eye witness accounts by people who managed to survive the holocaust in the jewish ghettos and death (concentration) camps of the 2nd World War.
    I don't think I've ever read, or will ever read anything as moving and upsetting as that. If you think you know what really went on, you haven't a clue till you've read this. Unbelievable.
    It's true horror on the most unimaginable scale.
  12. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

What sort of novel is it?

I love crime/thriller books. Currently reading Patricia Cornwells, Dr Kay Scarpetta series. Read 9 over Christmas (sad I know) but couldn't put them down once I started.
  13. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Dan Brown- Digital Fortress.

Jackie Kay- Trumpet
  14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Now if you want a real good gory thriller, Angels of Death by Howard Wilson.

That's one brilliant book.
  15. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

The Time Travellers Wife was a cracking book more so because it's very original.
    I'd also recommend The Lovely Bones (Review)
    and the Kite Runner (Review)

Also for any dog lovers The Last Family in England is a top read (Review)

Cool this thread is getting like Richard and Judy's Book club!
  16. horny

horny Member

This book as amazing, I was stunned by this book, moving, thought provoking and very sad! I've read this for my book club, we have also read:
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (wierd, you want to believe it is a true story)
    Dairy of an ordinary woman by Margaret Forster (good, but not for men)
    How I life now by Meg Rosoff (a strange love story)

Just finished The line the witch and the wardrobe, enjoyed it after a 20 year break!
  17. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Definatley, fantastic book!
  18. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Grown Up Literature...??

Da Vinci Code was pretty cool, Im buying Fowlers bio next wk.
  19. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

I've also read all the Patricia Cornwell/Kay Scarpetta novels, All Arthur Conan Doyle, Colin Dextor,

Read most of the Terry Brooks science fiction books, as well as most of the Terri Pratchett
    Also read Wuthering Heights, which is a good book

The last two books I read were A Brief History of Time by Professor Stephen Hawking and the Scripts from the Porridge series....awesome

If you're a serious reader then some of the Shakespeare plays are good to read, in particular King Lear and Macbeth...very sad ending with Lear
  20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Didn't think I would like The Time-Traveller's Wife but was surprised at just how good it is. Last 2 I've read are Postwar by Tony Judt (heavy but excellent) and Northern Lights - 1st of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials books.