Books on Brass Arranging

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brasscrest, Sep 30, 2004.

1. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I've had an email inquiry through The Brass Crest about books on arranging for brass band. In addition to pointing the person to tMP, I thought I'd ask if anyone out there has any suggestions. Details such as author, publisher and availability will be much appreciated.

2. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

There is a book that I used to help me with arranging when I first started.
    'Texture in the Brass Band' by Ray Steadman Allen.
    I will try and dig it out later and let you know the publisher.

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I believe it was published by SP&S but is currently out of print. Keith Quinn has it listed on his site, although it is quite expensive. He also lists a book by Dennis Wright: "Scoring for Brass Band":

http://www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

This book has been mentioned on a similar thread a while ago.
    I think Gareth Green was looking for a copy.
    SP&S published it some years ago, 1980's I think, but it has long been out of print sorry to say.

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Absolutely; if anyone wants to sell one, please let me know.

Gareth

6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Scoring for Brass Band by Denis Wright.

From Studio Music (020 8830 0110)

7. Andy Duncan

Andy Duncan New Member

I hope this doesn't sound to much like a blatent advert - but just to say that over the last three years I've been working on a new book 'Arranging and Scoring for Brass Band' which is due to be published shortly.

It is a comprehensive book dealing with many aspects of arranging and scoring for brass band including arranging hymn tunes, arranging orchestral music, film music, arranging music originaly written for piano, as well as giving detailed information on the different instruments, the sections and instrument groupings and a chapter on writing for Timpani and Percussion. There is a also a chapter on the copyright law and how this affects the brass band arranger and a chapter on the merits of publishing/self publishing, etc. The book also gives details of how to arrange well for youth & lower section bands with regard to keeping within given boundaries of range and technique, etc.

I've written the book to illustrate and reflect the modern scoring techniques now possible for band with the changes in playing standards over the last few decades.

It will be available from January 2005 published by Lewis Music Press.

Andy Duncan.

8. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Sounds brilliant!

9. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

brasscrest

I have several books on the subject showing title, author, and year. These are listed and can be viewed under the Memorabilia Section of my site as follows: -

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/quinn.htm

My reference numbers MEM41, MEM48, MEM68, MEM69 are some of them. The on site listings currently go up to MEM91, but I now have further items up to MEM100, that will added in due course.

These include: -

MEM93 The Band Director's Guide - Kenneth L. Neidig
    MEM95 How To Read A Score - Gordon Jacob
    MEM97 The Brass Band - Harold C. Hind
    Also under MEM98 - Peter Gane Euphonium Mute

Further details of the latest additions can be obtained by email from me at KEITH@quinnk37.freeserve.co.uk

Keith Quinn

10. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

I'd endorse that.
    Good as the R S-A book is, the fact is that it was written over 20 years ago and brass playing and band scoring techniques have developed considerably since then.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Arranging
    tMP
    Books
    url
    publisher
  12. euphoria

euphoria Member

Even more so for the Denis Wright book.

13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have pointed the person who asked me the question to this thread on tMP. Feel free to post more suggestions :)

14. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

Further to my earlier post.

I have sold MEM48 this afternoon - Colour And Texture In The Brass Band Score (Ray Steadman-Allen). However, I am awaiting delivery of a further copy of MEM48 together with several other items of memorabilia.

For those who are interested, I operate a reservation system, without any customer obligation, from your 'wants lists' to find elusive recordings and memorabilia items.

Please email me directly for new additions as it is impossible to keep the website completely updated as some stock tends to sell quickly.

Keith Quinn

KEITH@quinnk37.freeserve.co.uk

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/quinn.htm

15. R.S.-A.'s Book

This thread is a little old, but I found it because of a recent post by someone looking for an arranging book on brass band. I have a copy of R.S.-A.'s book (actually it's a borrowed copy from my friend Kevin Larsson and it's even signed by R.S.A. himself!). I have to say that the best part about this book is the music examples. That's where you're going to learn how to score for any ensemble. Look at scores written by the masters. No book can substitute for that, no matter how great the book. And honestly, as much as I admire the musical work of Ray Steadman-Allen, I'm not impressed by this book. He did a great job assembling score examples, but his writing leaves much to be desired (I'm talking about writing English, not music!). I find the writing needlessly stiff, stilted, and overly formal. Maybe because I'm American I prefer direct, clear writing, but I think great writing is always direct, clear, and to the point. R.S.-A. is a great composer and scorer for brass band, but for the price, I'd pass on this book and hope Duncan's book is a bit fresher, and much better written.

That being said, I still learned quite a bit by reading it. And I've always said any book you can learn something from is a great book. But to anyone wanting to read it, see if you can get it from your local library--or borrow it from a friend--before you spend a lot of money on it!

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

According to a post on another forum, Andy Duncan's book will be available form 16th May.

17. Imperial

Imperial Member

thats true, that information is what I've been told by andy himself so that's correct. (although the release date has been postponed a couple of times...)

18. Duncan's Book

I'm looking forward to it! I'll definitely check it out.

Aaron

19. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

i dont know if its already been mentioned- Denis Wrights Arranging for Brass band is fab- i use it loads as a reference...never read it cover to cover- though i am sure it would be benificial to do so!

20. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Although things have changed somewhat since the Denis Wright book, one thing hasn't changed, thank goodness, the scoring of a brass band, (unlike wind bands). I am sure that the Andy Duncan book will be excellent. If I was 'starting out', I would recommend having Andy Duncans's book AND Denis Wright's book. It's a bit like saying that if you were scoring for orchestra, get the latest information, but have Gordon Jacob's "Orchestral Tecnique" as a backup too.

21. Imperial

Imperial Member

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Arranging
    tMP
    Books
    url
    publisher