Booking Deps

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Jun 5, 2003.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

At our recent AGM we almost decended into complete chaos when faced with the question of booking deps, and who should be in charge. Up until now it has been the responsibility of one person to book all the deps for all the jobs. usually we don't need many, just percussion and a few cornets, both in short supply around Sheffield area. I suggested we make the responsibility of the player to book their own deps, this was met with mixed yet strong views - from "brilliant idea" to "i'd leave if that was the case".

It has to be the worst job in the world spending a day or two phoning everyone on the band list to be told they're busy. then taking the blame when we don't have a full band. Also as was pointed out, those who work weekends or who are at uni (away for the whole summer) can hardly be expected to book a dep for every gig.

2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I do the dep sorting for my band...
    as long as you plan everthing out clearly and well in advance.. by talking to all players/committee etc.. then it isnt really that hard.
    band pay for all my dep-related phone calls anyway
  3. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

we have about 2 people who sort deps, so it seems to work, luckily though we dont need many deps and they rarely charge us as we return the favour with local bands :wink:
  4. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I officially "do" the deps for my band - and now I know Nadia does them I may well offer to merge contacts lists!!!! :)

Mr. Mute gives his suggestions and will also ring players if I ask nicely - when his editorial duties don't get in the way!

Rach x
  5. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I don't think there is any miracle solution to this problem Tim. It is a difficult job but I don't think it is personally reasonable to ask people to arrange to book their own deps as that is relying on that fact they will know possible replacements which is not always the case. The dep organiser system definately has it's advantage as that person gains alot of contacts as is known in the area as the deps person i.e they can phone people up and it's not a 'who the hell are you situation'. The dep system in alot of bands runs on a I scratch your back your scatch mine system which can end up in the poor dep person organising one band and also depping for loads of different bands to return the favour.

IMHO the deps officier ideally should to do some depping for themselves and therefore build up a good contact group with other bands. People are more willing to do favours for friends. Likely to ease the situation still not helping with all the work for one person but I can't see a much better system.
  6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yeah.. thats true.. most of the deps i get in are friends... im normally very reluctant to get someone in if i dont know them/havnt heard (of) them..
    yeah good idea cornetgirl.. but i wouldnt post names and numbers publically ;) ;)
  7. Ali

Ali Member

At Dobcross the players are EXPECTED to sort out their own Deps. There are no exceptions to this rule. Your seat is your responsibility and if they dont like it tough! It was the same situation at Todmorden when I was there. It is only if they have exhausted their sections dep list that the job of sorting deps falls on to the band masters ( my ) shoulders. As is the case with most bands deps usually are friends of players anyway so you can usually twist arms and call in favours. It also helps if your band members do depping jobs and dont charge the earth because its easier to call in favours that way.
  8. timbloke

timbloke Member

Agreed, most are contacts that myself and some of the other players have built up, zanna's certainly done her fair share of band PR. but when you've not been in an area very long, or struggle to make your own gigs, playing around can be difficult.

Still, always seems to get sorted in the end.
  9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

We dont do this because not every member of the band is expected to know a vast amount of possible deps available to them!
  10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

we have a dep list which is collated by everyone in the band submitting a list of everyone they who who might be a possible dep