Book Club?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by flugelgal, Jun 11, 2004.

1. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Is there anyone out there who reads and fancies a bit of a virtual book club (we could pronounce it BOC Club :wink: ) for tmpers?

Assuming that there is interest in this - there are several ways that it could be done... we could all pick the same book and discuss it in depth, or alternatively we could just post on here when we'd read a book - a very short paragraph to try and "sell" it to fellow tmpers.

Maybe I'm the biggest BOC out but there must be at least one other person out there who likes books as much as me, mustn't there? :roll:

2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

It would depend on the book............I have limits y'know......

If it's a Tom Clancy however, deal me in!!

Or better yet, a tMP Movie debate. I saw the new Harry Potter yesterday, and BOY do I have some things to say!!

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Good idea!

I'll play - but I probably won't ever get the spare time to do prescribed reading :( ; I rarely seem to get any reading done anywhere except on the bus these days, and 'Bleak House' (~950 pages) and 'The Confusion' (815 pages), both of which I've got on the go, will keep me busy for a while yet!

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I'm a book worm at work, I work nights (my boss isn't here is she?) and I can read a Book a night (not too long) on a quiet night, I've just finnished a Nelson Demille - Up country - Very Good. Always looking for good reads. Good Idea FG

5. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

go for it mate!!

i am THE original bookworm (according to my family).....
    count me in!

6. Okiedokie of Oz

It was the long weekend!! Perfect time to NOMINATE a BOOK..........now I guess I'll have to amuse myself by yelling at the band tomorrow night....... :cry:

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Any thing my John Grisham! :D

8. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

never read his stuff.
    read the belgariad and the mallorean series' by David Eddings... fantastic!!

9. Okiedokie of Oz

I've only ever read one David Eddigs book. Woulda made more sense if I read te prequel first, I daresay.

Grisham is good. Please no classic novels......no Dickens, Bronte, or other boring crud!!! I'll read nearly anything else, even Mills and Boon if I have to!!!

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I am sure most of us like the Lord of the Rings series, and that probably a large percentage of us have seen the movies... but... there is another double trilogy that in my opinion is even better than LOTR.

The strangely titled, "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever", and "The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever" by Stephen Donaldson."

Now, these books are simply fantastic. There are 6 books in two sets of three in all, each set being sometimes even more descriptive than Tolkeins writings of Bilbo, Frodo and Gandaalf et al in LOTR.

It tells the tale of Thomas Covenant, a leper, who in our land is going through troubled times with a divorce, cruel treatment toward him from his neighbours, and is feeling very sorry for himself. He has an episode after hitting his head on the corner of a table, and upon waking up, finds himself in an unfamiliar place, a place they call 'the Land'. The story progresses quickly and very descriptevly from there on, and is full of magical characters with whom TC develops a close bond. A superbly brilliant tale of good v's evil, beautiful lands, interesting characters so subtley written, I found myself actually there with them as I was reading it.

A superb 'holliday' read and a must for any bookworm.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    feats
    engeneering
    favourite
    Book Club
    tv programme
  12. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

For anybody who likes there Sci-Fi I can strongly recommend the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton.

13. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

funnily enough, Daniel, have just started the first of these yesterday... 1000 pages later and am wondering why it didn't win a Hugo...

14. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

The Stephen Donaldson books are a good read, I read them one after another and thought they were excellent.

I also think that Ian Banks is an extremely talented author, his book "The Bridge" is a classic.

Also if you love travel books I would recommend two Authors Peter Moore and Tim Moore (not related to each other). Two travel writers who aren't afraid of getting mucky when on the road and don't take each other too seriously

15. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

For a different take on the travel writer, I can recommend Bill Bryson.
    He's been all over and makes some good observations.
    Keeps interest and amuses, simultaneously.
    Grisham is class. Time to Kill + Pelican Brief both excellent.
    Patricia Cornwell - fantastico.
    James Patterson also spins a fair yarn.

Just tucking into "Slow Reckoning", a reference all about future of global ecology.
    S'a bit specialized but very informative.

16. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Although, some think his books a bit nerdy, I think Terry Pratchett is one of the funniest and insightful authors around

17. Nat

Nat Member

i love books i think its a great idea!! :wink: keep us posted

18. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

pph, also try:
    anything by michelle magorian
    anything by james patterson (suzannes diary for nicholas is recommended)
    the redwall series by brian jacques
    the davinci code by *help, i've forgotten his name and i've lent the book out :S)
    the woven path by robin jarvis (part of a trilogy)
    and northern lights, the subtle knife and the amber spyglass by phillip pullman

19. HBB

HBB Active Member

Dan Brown?

20. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

*MWAH!*

ben ur a genius!!! thankye muchly. :) :wink:

21. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Anyone recommend a good series of Science Fantasy books for my upcoming holiday. I have read LOTR and the Thomas Covenant series and am looking for something similar...

Any ideas...?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    feats
    engeneering
    favourite
    Book Club
    tv programme