Bon Voyage Littleborough!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MattB, Nov 23, 2007.

1. MattB

MattB Member

Well, my parole has finally come through!! After 6 years it was a tough call to leave as MD, but wanting to compete at a high level was too much of a pull. I'm looking forward to Christmas lots as it's my last, and look back on six years hard work with much fondness.

Contest results have not gone our way on the whole, although we've had moderate success (2nd at Holmfirth, 2nd at Greenfield, 4th at Tameside over the years) and this is the only thing I wish would have been different!

Considering where we started, with 8 players and a bandroom where plaster would fall off the walls when you blew too loud, massive strides have taken place. The bandroom is fully refurbed, new instruments, cracking social side, and bums on seats bar a Bb Bass and 3rd cornet.

I was wondering if anyone else has, like me, left a band with no animosity, good vibes, and a feeling of a job well done. It's a lovely feeling!

As for the future, that be Stalybridge Old Band! Back to blowing euph, back to panicking about bits I can't play, back to eagerly anticipating contest mornings! I have to thank Denton Band for giving me that buzz back when I depped at Fleetwood, and also Hebden Bridge and Goodshaw who have let me keep my lip in during my down time as a player.

Anyway, bon voyage Littleborough, thanks for the memories, and as the dolphins once said, 'So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!!'

PS Solo Horn and Cornets required at Staly, 2nd section, cracking bunch, new MD Jeff Lewis (Grimethorpe), future rosy! Rehearse weds evenings. PM for details.
  2. vonny

vonny Member

I guess it's a natural instinct when we come to the decision to 'leave' an organisation... I know how happy you where at Littleborough but I have sensed the times you haven't been so happy - but that's life eh :). I have had some great times playing with the band and thank you for the times you have asked me to help out - even though I haven't had the opportunity to recently, with work commitments etc.
    It was a pleasure to play next to you with Goodshaw at pontins last year and you are a brill player so the decision to concentrate on your playing is wonderful.

Take care

Yvonne xx
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hope everything goes ok back playing again Matt, you certainly appear to have re-installed a bit of solidity and pride back in Littleborough, they seem to have come on in leaps and bounds under your tenure.

Well done for that and good luck in the future.

I left my last band in very good relations. I'd been with Wilsden 10 years and had decided it was just time to try somewhere different. I was presented with a 10 years service medal on my last ever job, and I still class everyone who was there as very good friends.
    And when I hand my notice in at the Emley next summer I hope I'll leave there in much the same spirit.

Joke guys!!!! Sheesh! :rolleyes:
  4. KatyB

KatyB New Member

Well done

The band will miss you I'm sure but as you say you brought them from nothing to a fullband capable of going to contests and holding their own! Good luck with your playing - we all enjoyed your company at Haslingden where I'm sure you will be welcome for a blow.
    Kath T
  5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I was laughing all the way in the ambulance! git!!

Matt, it's great to see that people in lower section banding still know what it's really about! Good luck in the future.
  6. David Mann

David Mann Member

Good luck to both you and the Band(s)!
  7. barrytone

barrytone Member

Littleborough band without their enigmatic conductor, Matt Bailey, just won't be the same. You've done wonders with the band Matt, it has been an absolute pleasure to help the band as and when I've been asked and it was a joy to sit next to you during your spell as second euph at Hebden.

All the best for the future to both yourself and the band, I am sure that both will go from strength to strength.
  8. Frontman

Frontman Member

May I add my sincere best wishes to you Matt. You dedication and enthusiasm are second to none. It was a pleasure to have you playing with Goodshaw Band last year at Pontins when again your drive and determination to succeed showed through.
    Best wishes at Stalybridge, they will quickly learn your sincere quality and genuine loyalty.
  9. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

I also add my sympathies to Littleborough in losing a great guy.

Best wishes to both Matt at Stalybridge and to Litteborough in finding a replacement.
  10. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Good luck at Stalybridge Matt, Im sure Littleborough will miss your dedication and enthusiasm to the cause - it was a pleasure to play for you at Tameside this year.
  11. MrBb

MrBb Member

Well when i heard the news i must admit i was a little disappointed, only having been invited to join the band by Matt 3 or 4 months ago. The bands getting quality through the door as well as numbers (if i do say so myself *cough* *cough*), so it would of been nice to see if we could of getting the results next year with Matt at the helm.

I know the attraction of playing, having 12 months out, people asking you to come back and at some point the bug bites again, and so I've been told you can either play, conduct but not both to any decent standard.

Good luck bud, beers are on you at the Christmas do.

12. MattB

MattB Member

Many thanks for all the kind words folks, have found it very humbling to receive so many PMs and messages wishing me well. Your words are very much appreciated and go to show what a great movement brass banding can be.

Now to all potential MDs out there, get your application in for Littleborough, a nicer atmosphere and set of people you won't find anywhere else!! They're all primed and ready to be moulded by a new bod! For further info either visit or email the Sec: