Bohemian Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MRSH, Dec 6, 2004.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

If ever there was a better, more unique anthem than Bohemian Rhapsody - I haven't heard it.

Just watched the documentary on BBC3 about the writing, making and recording of this song. Absolutely fascinating. And ultimately ground-breaking.

Memories of Live Aid, Waynes World and (*cough ahem*) We Will Rock You this song will live on for generations to come.

Anyone know of any other timeless songs such as this?

2. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Most of the Queen catalogue? Listening to their Greatest Hits albums (all 3!) there's not a single song which isn't famous, certainly on the first 2.

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm thinking "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" and "Summer Lovin' " (from Grease) might be up on that list.

4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I don't actually think that Bohemian Rhapsody is Queen's best song, although it is probably the most well known. Their best song, for me, has to be The Prophet Song. It's the first track on the album 'A Night At The Opera'.

5. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I'd agree there, I watched the doumentary over the weekend, can't think of any better song, certainly not recently.

Thought it was really informative. I love listening to Queen, although they were before my time (I'm only 21 :D ), but it's quite amazing how many people my age still regularly listen to Queen!! You can tell by whats on on the jukebox in the students union!!! ;)

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Fully agree with the praise for Bohemian Rhapsody - and Queen in general for that matter. But can I chuck another couple of what I consider to be timeless songs into the ring (well you did ask!) - very different styles and probably not as groundbreaking but how about...

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel - The piano alone is worth putting this into classic staus, and then you get to Art Garfunkel's vocal, and then after that the lyrics themselves - it is just superb. I recently downloaded it (legally of course!!) and I just can't stop listening to it.

Good Vibrations - Beach Boys - Speaking of musical genius, did anyone see the Brian Wilson documentry that was on the other week?? As I suspected he is a total genius - and only now beginning to come to terms with what that means. As for the song - well enough has been said about it already, how long did it take to produce the backing tracks? 6 months or something? A triumph of persiverance if nothing else - but it still sounds fantastic, even today, preferably on a hot summer's day, in your car, driving to the beach...:-D

And we can't talk about classic songs without mentioning...

Busted!!!! :-(

No seriously - the Beatles. But which song? Don't know really, there are so many! (and there's probably room for another thread here) For "groundbreak-ability" I Am The Walrus? Strawberry Fields? I think I would go for All You Need Is Love. It's not my favorite Beatles song but just the way it was recorded - in a live broadcast - with all the orchestration, just shows they were way ahaed of everyone else at the time.

Great topic this - those are just my thoughts - feel free to rip them to bits!! I could've added so many more but I won't bore you - I've gone on for long enough I think...:)

Oh - by the way - despite my choices I'm not a child of the late sixties...

7. Pla

Pla New Member

Not to be pedantic...but prophet song is actually track 8! death on two legs is track 1!!! anyway they're all quality songs-I'm a huge queen fan. As far as Bo Rhap goes it's absolute genius. I've got that documentary on dvd and it's so clever. I dont think there has been anything to rival it.

8. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Bohemian Rhapsody, is legendary!!! Theres not another word to describe it... Legendary says it all!! :-D Lol!!!

It's been sang by 'The Youth Hathernites' everywhere.. of course we sang it just as well... ;) Lol! Sort of.. the harmony was a bit different :p hehehehe

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I like the part when he starts singing some weird lemody all high like he's tripped out.

10. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me and a friend often sing queen songs in maths lessons!!! heehee and i think there may have been a few dodgy queen songs sung by me wen slightly tipsy

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anthem
    making
    Memories
    ground-breaking
    songs
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

...he sings the whole song like that!!!!!:D

13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

One of my top 5 selections would certainly be the classic...

The Whole of the Moon by The Waterboys.... what an upbeat thriller of a classic piece....

14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Agree about Bohemian Rahpsody, but was let down that I never heard the opening performed live.

I'd perhaps add Bat Out of Hell which owes as much to the writing of Jim Steinman as to the performance of Mr Loaf.

15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Bohemian Rhapsody was and still is a fantastic number, but my all time favourite is Lovin' You sung by the late Minnie Riperton, closely followed by Louis Armstrong's 'What a Wonderful World' (Being the old fashioned git that I am....)