Bogus reasons?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BikeBadger, Feb 2, 2013.

1. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

How many times have we seen a well-known player parting from a band citing "personal" or "family" or "work" commitments only for them to spring up quickly as a new member of another band? If the aforementioned "commitments" have suddenly disappeared, why do they not return to their original band? I don't know about anyone else, but when I read obvious plastic "spin" I feel insulted.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    original band
    commitments
    family
    known player parting
    Bogus reasons
  3. flug_gal

flug_gal Member

I'm not sure of your point, if someone's travelling a considerable distance to play for a band and then go and join one five minutes down the road or one who only rehearse once a week and/or different days then it may well be that. I've played for bands where I had to travel well over an hour to get there and one's which are a mile down the road, I know which made my life easier and worked around my commitments.

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Does it matter? Maybe they don't like someone or something about the band, but are being nice about it. Better that than to slag the band or person off in the public domain.

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Exactly.

~ Mr Wilx

6. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

I assume this is a pop at Grimethorpe who have shed a few high profile end-chair players for these sorts of reasons. To be fair you can't honestly expect people to say they were only there for the cash, and now it's drying up they're off? That would create the false impression that the band was in crisis and said players are a bunch of money-grabbing mercenaries. This is clearly not the case as their work with schools and the new youth band shows.

7. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

yes, and that idiot in number 11 is going to sort out the economy !

8. ben16

ben16 Member

"work and family commitments" is just a thinly veiled euphemism for sacked/quit - just because it's impossible to argue with or read much between the lines. Yes it's a bit patronising but remarkably much better than airing dirty laundry in public (which has also been tried).

9. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Omigod! It's happened again!

10. hopeless

hopeless New Member

The Quit tag does apply, in some rather sad instances...eg: to protect ones reputation when something comes along that the quitting player either cannot play, or is afraid of exposing his/her weakness in public.

I know that at least 2 players who have decided thus , resigning rather than risk losing face to their demons in Plantagenets , this years 2nd Section Area piece.

I believe one should be merciful in these type of cases, as after all BBanding is a hobby to be enjoyed, not to suffer nightmares for weeks, as these players undoubtedly have before deciding to resign.

In their mind they could lose either way, A) They feel as if they have let their respective bands down by resigning before a contest , or B ) They believe they would let their band down if they decide to play by either drying up or messing it up.
    A heck of a dilemma, particularly if the band don't have a replacement within their ranks.

This is why certain players resign under the heading of "work & family commitments" when in fact it is due to pure fear, and a terrible decision to have to make. No one ( or very few ) will publicly admit to being afraid of playing in a particularly important contest.
    My heart goes out to them, and I hope that some wise MD's and colleagues , give support where needed and not condemnation.

As an aside: It will be interesting to see if these players return after a suitable time out (whilst the areas are on).

11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Excellent post; I'm aware of similar instances, as well.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    original band
    commitments
    family
    known player parting
    Bogus reasons
  13. ben16

ben16 Member

What? Apart from some obvious personal dirty laundry (which maybe you'd like to share?), this is total nonsense. Noone is so scared of playing Plantagenets that they would resign from a band for that reason.

14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

How do you reach that conclusion?

15. Mello

Mello Member

I know the players....simples !!

16. ben16

ben16 Member

This had nothing to do with "well-known players" and was a pop at 2 individuals in hopeless's band, by the sound of it. Not very pleasant or relevant.

17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Unless I'm being very naive, it did not seem to me that hopeless, far from 'having a pop', was being anything other than sympathetic; what am I missing?

18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Re-reading that, I think my grammar may have gone slightly AWOL; hopefully the meaning's clear enough ...

19. hopeless

hopeless New Member

The situation is true, it would be very naughty of me to name them as they probably feel bad enough as it is.
    If people cannot understand , that is their problem.
    Some of the people concerned are known by other players, in their area , which is natural as word gets around.
    Having said that, they may not be 'well known' players, but they are/were important players to their respective bands.

Ben16 appears to be a good player , and possibly can play everything in front of him, but spare a thought for those who do not possess the expertise, or in some cases the confidence to face the ordeal of playing solos or very exposed taxing parts in public.

I can assure you there is no dirty linen to wash ...none, and the fact that you mention it seems to reflect antagonistic or unsympathetic attitude displayed by many posters on TMP. In fact I was targeted myself immediately on my first posting ( which I am not going into again ).

Our old MD used to say to his players in contest debriefs, " to those of you who have had accidents on stage, hard luck, it happens to every player sometime. To those who haven't, keep your mouth shut , as next time it may be your turn".
    I suppose because the ones who messed up feel bad enough, without others kicking them when they are feeling down and sometimes in tears .

Personally, I hope it doesn't happen to you Ben16 .......but , you never know.

20. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

You're spot on there, I can speak from personal experience, I was debating leaving a band because I was well out of my depth, funnily enough on Harmony Music. Unfortunately they beat me to it and sacked me! ;) But players do make that sort of decision most definately.

21. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Very wise words !

~ Mr Wilx