Boddingtons R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chris Sanders, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I know Chris... disgraceful isnt it :( so sad :(

3. Chris Sanders

Gonna drown my sorrows in J.W. Lees... :cry:

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Feeling that bad, eh?

5. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Middleton Band are famous partners in crime with J W Lees as it's brewed just up t'road from our bandroom and we wear their ties as part of our walking out uniform. Not a bad pint too, especially if you don't mind that "morning after a contest feeling" on a Tuesday!

:hammer

Sad for Boddys though :-|

6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

A sad day indeed. Its been a while since I've had a real pint of boddy's - down here all we get is the keg version.

Us real ale types need to stick together and make noises about this sort of thing - join CAMRA ( yes , they have their faults but are still an effective pressure group ) and stick up for our local / regional ales!!!

Seems to be a lot of similarities between the band world and the ale - to many fine old names from both going to the wall because of changing tastes and circumstances.A crying shame for all of us.

(Sets off into London smog vainly looking for a decent cask mild........)

7. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Boddys was getting that cafferys-esque, mass produced taste to it anyway. Use to drink it all the time, can't say I've had a pint in the last couple of years.

8. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

That's the trouble with your major brewers, they sell the 'same' beers with the same names but made in different places to where they originate and they never taste the same. Just taste the difference between Stella brewed in the UK and the proper stuff - chalk and cheese.

I remember many a happy contest at the Grand Shield sampling the delights of Boddy's brewed in Manchester. One particular one with an awkward bus driver and no toilet on the bus, but that's another story.

Anyhow another sad dad for beer coniseurs.

9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Can't be too upset about one of the worst real ales going down the pan, but the principle is still worrying.

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

3 years ago on our tour of Belgium we visited the Stella brewery in Leuven. Asked the guide why the brew in Belgium tastes different to that made in the UK - he assured us it was made in exactly the same way and he considered that it was a problem with the way the beer was served. We had 5 minutes of a video showing the correct way to serve Stella, washing the glass, leaving the glass wet, holding the glass at the perfect angle, allowing the head to flow over the top and then skimming off the froth with a spatula and finally presenting the lager to the customer with the Stell logo facing towards them.

We had such a good tour and lots of free beer in their bar that when we planned to go back to Belgium the following year I contacted them to arrange another visit; told me they would be closed the week we were going "but I didn't say which date we were coming" to which we got the reply "well we will definately be closed which ever week you come" (think we might have enbibed a little too much on our first visit.;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Boddingtons R.I.P..
    Boddingtons
    url
  12. Chris Sanders

That I am... going to miss the smell as I pass the M.E.N. every morning...

Anyhoo... its J.W. Lees all the way for me now!!

13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Ah well, its gone the same way as Newcy Broon, which is now brewed it Gateshead. I think they wangled it with the old European Protected Location thing by arguing the water used is still from the Tyne. Bring back the old Dog I say!!

14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

you should join besses then chris :)
    used to be sponsored by J.W. Lees and had loads of tins knocking around... prob still there cos it tastes so bad that no-one would take them for free!

15. Chris Sanders

I'd rather not thanks!! ;)

Wouldnt mind a few beers though if you're offering. In fact if you're paying, I'll go on guiness again :guiness

16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

scubar tonight..
    do it do it!!! before i put a jihad on your gorrillas you durkka durkka ...

17. Chris Sanders

Oh Harrow... Cant tonight mate... Saving money for Monday and ive got work tomorrow, plus im waiting for a phone call!!

Have a good night boyo... Durka durka durka!!

18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Sad day, never drunk that much of it as i enjoy the REAL STRONG BEERS ie
    BISHOPS FINGER 5.6%abv, McCEWANS CHAMPION NUMBER ONE ALE 7.3%abv:clap:

19. Chris Sanders

Thats why im going back on J.W. Lees... they do Moonraker 7.5%...

http://www.bunitedint.com/Products/jwlees-moonraker.html

Ever had Rudolphs Rocket Fuel??

Its a bit like ronseal... does exactly what it says on the tin...

20. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

There was one called WMD at the Gosport beer last year, astonishing strong, though I don't remember the numbers! If you want a review, you'll have to ask Mr Taylor - I wasn't man enough to drink the stuff...:D Still, his interpretation of the Tom Jones medley was ... inspired...

Back on topic, I think it's a shame. The strangeways brewery is a real Manc landmark, and while 90% of the boddies you get is frothy and tastes of bananas, a good pint is lovely. Definitely a step in the wrong direction.

21. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

:roll: :roll:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Boddingtons R.I.P..
    Boddingtons
    url