Bob's right - don't buy Live8 tickets from Ebay

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Kelly (Kate_the_Horn) PM’d me today, and said,

I am so disappointed in the human race today, am I the only person alive with morals?!”

What was she discussing? Live 8.

Live 8 is a moral cause. People have been given a chance to see a concert of a lifetime - for £1.50. Of the millions entering, from the 75,000 lucky enough to have got tickets by the text lottery SOME have chosen to benefit personally by selling tickets on EBay. What are they thinking? Bob and Midge and Richard Curtis and many others work their butts off (for free) getting everyone from performers to stewards to do everything for nothing - if the performers won’t benefit, why should touts? If selling Ashes tickets for immense profit is immoral where does that leave Live 8 touts? I hope they can sleep at night. Bob Geldof IS right - don't line these money grabbing people's pockets by buying Live8 tickets on EBay. If you were prepared to pay a grand (or anything, come to that) for the tickets, give the money to the Make Poverty History campaign instead, and watch Live8 on TV, the same as everyone else who wasn't able to get tickets.

Please - don’t condone this.
  2. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

*promises not to buy live8 tickets off ebay*
    Can the ebay people stop people from selling them?
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

I think that the E-Bay management are going to stop all of them selling?
  4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

they have done as of this evening see here
  6. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Latest news I heard was that they were stopping the sales. Mainly due to them being sabotaged, I suspect. Some people were bidding over £10 million just to kill the auctions :clap:
  7. heidnr

heidnr New Member

Whilst I applaud the spirit behind this venture and applaude the 'people power' that has caused EBay to change a policy I can not help but feel there is a certain amount of hypocrisy when Big Bob's best chum Bono and his band are charging 50 (thats right: fifty) pounds per ticket for 2 concerts in the CIty of Manchester stadium (and presumably the rest of their tour). Does that mean it is ok for Bono (an ardent supporter of Bob) and his mates to make a load of money and Joe Public on the street can not? how much of this large wheel-barrow full of cash (approx GBP 2.5m on gate receipts alone) will U2 be donating ?
    I find it a little hard to stomach to be lectured by people such as Bono on whether I should be giving or not, and how much. Many people give to charity in their own ways - these days it is not about giving to charity but about been seen to be giving to charity - i.e. the wristbands.
    And before everyone gets their flamethrowers out - I do think it is morally wrong to make a buck out of a charity gig - but this is human nature - I am not saying it is right - it is just the way it is.
    And one last thing - how many people have NOT tried to sell their tickets? I do not think we are a morally bankrupt nation - just one that is learning the lessons of the people who are currently in the public eye!
  8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I have to agree about Bonio. What an utter hypocryte. This is the man who is always lecturing us mere mortals on poverty and the environment. Then spends £1000 pounds on a first class air ticket to fly his hat to a concert after he had forgotten to pack it. Pr@t :mad:
  9. Will the Sec

You're very critical of Bono - have you researched exactly what he does in terms of charitable/ecological works?

"It's just the way it is." I'll quote you Pratchett for that one. "You did something because it had always been done, and the explanation was "but we've always done it this way." A million dead people can't have been wrong, can they?" (The Fifth Elephant)

Very true about the majority - but if you don't protest about the wrongs of the minority, you run the risk of ignoring some serious wrongs. Zimbabwe springs to mind.

Your views may vary.
  10. heidnr

heidnr New Member

I know that Bono does a lot of charitable work - he has been pushing Debt Relief a lot longer than most people realise - particularly whilst it was not 'fashionable' as it is right now.

I am sorry to say that no matter what you try to do with society, and how wrong things seem to be, there will always be someone who tries to exploit things. I am happy Ebay stopped the sale but I do not believe for a moment this will cut out black market trade in these tickets. It will still go on. It is not ideal, but what can you do? Yes, you can try to block the outlets but you will not change the fact people want to make money on them. It could be mentioned that I am sure they could have come up with a way to make the tickets non-transferable.

People see celebrities, football players, Z-list nobody's off of reality TV making huge amounts of cash, and everybody wants a piece of it. As long as there is this culture of getting something for almost nothing people want a piece of it. The people selling these tickets obviously do not realise the importance, honour, luck, and the meaning (most importantly) behind this - to them it is just another money-making scheme. They are the Del-Boys of the 21st century. How many people have downloaded an MP3 illegally, or picked up a copy of a tape or video or a DVD illegally? These are actual crimes that are (legally) worse than selling on transferable tickets but they perpetrate the idea that you can get something for nothing - and it is this attitude that people need to change if they want to improve the way society behaves.

People should complain about the minority, as you say, there are some pretty hideous minorities, although I think comparing selling charity tickets to the Mugabe regime is a little extreme. The world can only become a better place for it - but equally, the minority under our rule of law are allowed their actions and thoughts as well (again, within legal and to a certain extent moral grounds - I am not condoning Mugabe at all). If we stopped every minority where would we be? I know you did not mean the comment in that way - but it is a point for thought. Some minorites have perfectly legitimate views - some majorities have very bad ideas and act badly. We should complain about the injustices in life to make a better world

On to Bono - my only question in response would be - do they really need to charge that much? He does an immense amount of work - but does he really need that big a personal fortune? What about all the other personalities involved? At least Bono has some moral ground to stand on (quite a lot of it) - perhaps more self-publicity would erase some of the ideas people have about celebrities telling other people what to do - perhaps if they made it very obvious how much time/money they donate that would have a bigger impact, as well as getting publicity for their cause - actions speak louder than words (GAH, CLICHE). In my experience people do not always react well to being told what to do by someone who appears not to be doing it themselves. Unfortunately people seem less interested in what useful things celebs do and more interested in what they looked like drunk staggering out of a bar at 4 am one night.

Charity has become fashionable, activism has become fashionable, lets hope that in 12 months when this is all forgotten that people still remember the need for charity, not just in Africa, but in our country and all countries.
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've just been reading in the evening paper that ebay are now being overwhelmed with messages from people desperate for tickets, offering £300 + for a pair. I don't know what the answer is, but if there's a demand then somebody's going to supply one way or another.
  12. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Save your money and spend it something more ethical - like the 3 Greenday tickets I have which my daughter now can't use! Milton Keynes this Sunday!
    No need to pay over the odds on ebay!

13. Will the Sec

Thank you for hijacking this thread.

I'll bring it back on topic.

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I knew that there were going to be loads of tickets selling on ebay when I first heard about the whole text competition thing...I can't understand why people would want to do that though...
  16. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

17. HBB

HBB Active Member

I bet someone does it!
  18. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

It would be OK if the people selling the tickets were donating the proceeds to Live 8 instead - heard one guy on the radio say he'd texted to donate £1.50 as he thought he'd never win a ticket and his missus was due to give birth that day - he's now got a pair of tickets!!(Sod's law eh?) and was going to sell them on eBay and donate the money back to Live 8.

Sadly I don't think many others would...

Rach x
  19. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I thought that Sir Bob had found a way of ensuring tickets couldn't be passed on by ebay or the black market.
  20. Will the Sec

They, like Ashes Tickets, are said to be "Not Transferable".

Sadly, except in cases where football hooligans have created the need for legislation making it a crime to re-sell segregated to tickets at all, this has not yet proven enforceable.

Pass the message on.