1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Many of our southern based readers will be saddened to learn of the death of Bob Tucker, Vice President of SCABA.
    Bob spent many years serving the association in varied roles from Contest Manager through to Treasurer - we remember with a smile the never ending raffle part of each contest I'm sure!
    As a player, Bob was associated with the Horsham Borough Band and I believe, was also a vice president.

The funeral service is being held on Monday 18th at St. Mark's Church, North Heath Lane, Horsham. Mid Sussex Brass will be playing from 1.00pm onwards for the service and anyone who knew Bob and would like to play should email andy@awooler.demon.co.uk.

Our thoughts go out to Bob's widow,Peggy, who is not enjoying the best of health at this time, and to the rest of his family - especially his daughter Janet, who plays with the Heathfield Silver Band and son in law Doug who also plays with Mid Sussex Brass.
  2. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Sorry to hear about Bob - he really was a lovely man.

Had lots of encounters with both him and Peggy on SCABA business - he was warm hearted and would always do all he could to help.

I can't make it to the funeral on Monday but hope it is a fitting tribute to a great brassbander.
  3. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

The funeral took place today - a good representation from the Scaba executive attended with a moving eulogy from former Scaba secretary, John Pickett.

A band based around Mid Sussex Brass was helped by friends from Lewes Glynde & Beddingham, Horsham Borough, Chichester City and West Chiltongton Silver bands.

Even those who knew Bob well may not have been aware of his wartime experience with the Paras - he arrived in to the church to the strains of "A Bridge Too Far" which would I'm sure have made him smile!

Bob's son-in-law, Dougie Blackford, played Bless This House - Bob's favourite piece, on the instrument purchased for Bob in around 1928! Not an easy task for Doug but one to which he rose admirably.