Bob or Dave

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jpbray, Sep 3, 2004.

Who is the better player

1. Robert Childs

45 vote(s)
  2. David Childs

12 vote(s)
  1. jpbray

jpbray Member

Who is the better euphonium player? Robert or David Childs
  2. JonP

JonP Member

i vote for steven mead!! ;-)
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

What... not Mr Hutch Jon...???? ;);):biggrin:
  4. jonford

jonford Member

Not sure because haven't heard either live. But I would say Bob simply because he has had more experience but David will be and is just as good.
  5. ted

ted Member

David by a mile!
    (Then Nick, followed by Bob)

6. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Steven Mead... :cool:
    Oh he's not one of the options... :-(
    I think experience wise Bob is much better, but David will soon be (if not already!) an absolutely amazing player, and will become one of the instruments finest exponents. (is that the right word? :-? )
    Did anyone listen to him playing in the Proms?
  7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Really? I'd never have guessed...
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm surprised Dave Payn hasn't chipped in with a little ditty:

Bob or Dave,
    Bob or Dave,
    Which of those two Euphonium Men,
    Played the best in the concert then,
    Bob or Dave, Bob or Dave,
    Euphonium men?

There's no doubting that both Bob and Dave are first class players (as are many others around at the moment) but I think that for sheer consistency and uniformity of sound across the full range I'd have to go with David - though it is a very close-run thing.
  9. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Yeah, well... ;) :oops:
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  10. JonP

JonP Member

he he, suppose it should be, didnt think of that mr burns!!!

11. matty1986

matty1986 Member

Although both are brilliant players, I would have to say Bob is my preffered choice becuase Dave impresses with out right technicality, Bob uses some style in his playing.

But if I had to pick my all time great Euph player I would have to say Glyn Williams!!!!
  12. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

I know the Childs family personally, John, their father/grandfather was one of Wales' best, he conducted Tredegar band in which he brought up Robert and Nicholas on Euphonium....... Robert moved to Grimethorpe Nicholas went to Frickley, the rest is history, both turned out to be the best in their profession, David (Robert's son) also took up the Euphonium and in his playing has many of his grandfathers qualities, as to who is the best, personally I would go for John but that's just the view of a sixty-two ex-soprano player....
  13. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

What about Nick? I always thought he was better than Bob. David's obviously the best of the 3 NOW, but its so hard to compare standards across "eras". If you put David today head to head with Bob-or-Nick at the same age, imo it would be a very difficult one to call.
  14. Brian

Brian Member

wholeheartedly agree with you keith, but from the two, got to go for Bob.Phrasing, style and sheer musicality as his dad taught him: Good day today? see you tuesday..
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  15. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

Mr Pippen - given up registering BAYV domain names have we?
  16. Johan

Johan New Member

I vote for neither of them.

I vote for Derik Kane (ISB) and Aron Vanderwheele (NYSB)
  17. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I say Dave Childs myself, although Bob could do some stupid things (and probably still can!). My favourite was always Nick Childs though.