Bob Kerwick

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by weenie, Sep 28, 2011.

1. weenie

weenie Member

Having just read the news on 4br, I'm sure the rest of the brass band fraternity will join me in sending my condolences to the family of Bob Kerwick, who has compered many of this countries top contests over the years. I didn't know him personally, but he always spoke backstage and was the voice of the 'Open' for many years. RIP Bob.
  2. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

RIP Bob Kerwick

Must agree with above post. I didn't know the man personally and only knew him through his compere job at the Open, The English Nationals and The Grand Shield. Always did a terrific job at these events and will be sorely missed at all these events. My condolences go out to his family at this tough time. Did Bob every play in a brass band. 4BR never mentioned anything just wondering did he play or was it just an interest of his
  3. scaba Media

scaba Media Member

I too agree with the first post.

I worked with Bob, (Robert, as the programme would say) at Pontins. He in the Ballroom and I in Lunars Bar.

He was a lovely, lovely man.

Thoughts and prayers to his family. God bless.
  4. critic

critic Member

Iagree a lovely man
  5. I have known Bob for about 30 years, he used to play for the Parr Band in St Helens and before that for Prescot Band which is now defunct. He played many instruments over years including cornet, bass trombone and percussion. He was a maths teacher before retirement. He will be missed by many people.
  6. fartycat

fartycat Member

So sad, Bob was a real gent.

We had a bit of a mare at last year's Grand Shield - drawn No 1 but rehearsing miles away and we were notified of the draw very very late. Roadworks, a broken down car and a football derby didn't help matters and the band arrived late on stage. Bob was there joking away to all of us, calming us down and helping us set up. What a lovely man.
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Such a very sad loss to the Banding Movement he will be missed by us all.
    Bob Kerwick
  8. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

That voice....snooker had Ted Lowe, we had Bob Kerwick.