Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

As I reached the car park at my local ASDA today, I witnessed a policeman in the throws of arresting the owner of a BMW. It transpired that the "gentleman" concerned had parked in a disabled bay, and not responded to tannoy requests to move the car as there were disabled people waiting to use the space. A row had resulted, followed by the presence of the police.

The man was getting very vocal, eventually saying, "Why should park in normal spaces? People who drive cheap cars damage cars like mine!"

The policeman looked at him and said, "That maybe so, sir, but you can't park here. Driving a BMW isn't a disability."
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Arrogant so and so. Some people have so little regard for others cars. Even my poor little Amica, with 112,000 miles on the clock gets damaged by others. Friday this week Vicki brought it home having parked in a car park in town and there was a fresh scrape on the side where someone had bashed their door into it. :mad:
  3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

The answer for this moron is to park the car further away from the supermarket out of the way, then it won't get damaged. How can parking it in a disabled space limit his chance of getting his car damaged?
  4. Di

Di Active Member

In most cases, disabled spaces are wider than normal spaces, to give easier access for disabled users.
  5. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

surely you would just park over two spaces thus ridding the chances of it being damaged!? :rolleyes: :tongue:

Tongue in cheek obviously!
  6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

My view on this is that he got exactly what he deserved - people who park in disabled bays without any legitimate reason all deserve to be locked up, preferably having had their driving licence removed and their car crushed. It might stop them being the idiots they are.
    I don't care what car it is - nothing against BMWs, it is just something that really annoys me, especially when they then try to argue their case (there is NO excuse).

At least the policeman had a good sense of humour:
    "That maybe so, sir, but you can't park here. Driving a BMW isn't a disability"
    That is the funniest thing I have read on here for aaaages
  7. millie6589

millie6589 Member

Totally agree, what a jackass. The only reason someone would damage his car on purpose would be because they knew what an arrogant git he was about it. I know it's not the same, but those people who park in the parent&child spaces when they have no children really bug me too, or they bring out a teenager and think that makes it ok!
  8. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I used to do that til one day there was the whole row with cars stradling the white lines, You just can't win sometimes
  9. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

In 2001, a lady driving a BMW rear-ended me so hard after running a red light I am now driving a junker and parking in handicap spots (I am handicapped).

She could afford a top notch lawyer. My insurance company made a half-hearted effort.

She has a new car I am disabled for life. About 50% of the time, looking for a handicap parking space, they are filled with non-handicapped parkers.

Little respect for people who can barely walk (if at all). I have decided I will never own a new car again -- if you have to worry about dents and dings, you are too materialistic IMO.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Whilst I agree that able bodied people should not use these spaces I do have a couple of observations. 1 - there are far too many of them which frustates other carpark users who can't find a space. 2 - I very rarely see anybody with a blue badge get out of their car and have any trouble walking at all. My local supermarket has about 25 spaces - I never see 25 people in store in wheel chairs or on sticks. If they are able to spend an hour or more walking around a huge building lifting tins and pushing a heavy shopping trolley up and down aisles then why can't they also be expected to walk an extra 25 yards outside and use 'normal' car spaces.
  11. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I find this amazing. I will give you an example. Here in the US, marching bands are big in every High School (ages 14-18). Contests every Saturday during the fall. I can walk, on a very good day, about 25 yards (I am being nice, no way can I walk that far).

I went to contest where they had the law required minimum. A bunch of grandmothers came to see their grandkids. For me to see my son, I had to park 2+ miles away, walk, and then climb stadium stairs. No way. After driving for two hours and spending money on Petrol, I turned around and went home. The trip cost me about £15 in Petrol, broke my son's heart, all because I cannot walk.

If you can walk 25 yards, you should be thankful, praise your God, and walk the extra distance.

I only find handicap spots about 50% of the time. I drive home a lot. Is that fair because some person who can run a few miles at the gym doesn't want to walk 25 yards?

That, in my opinion, defines selfishness. And people wonder why I stay at home. Not hard to figure out. There is a parent of another band member who has MS and is in a wheelchair. She never sees her kid march. Her kid is quitting band (although amazingly gifted horn player) for that reason.

If we cannot give a little for other people, what does that say about our society as a whole?

Sorry if this sounded harsh -- but I will be lucky to EVER walk 25 yards again in my life. Saturday is my 50th birthday. Doctors doubt I will have any chance of seeing 60. All because a BMW ran a red light.

We all know what would happen if handicap parking places where not available. The employees would all park up front and we all would have to walk anyway.
  12. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Bravo. Completely support you and everything you just said. Thankyou for your honesty.
  13. horn1

horn1 Member

To be fair many people who are registered disabled don't necessarily use a wheelchair or sticks. This doesn't make them less disabled. If there were less spaces how would genuine users ever get the space they need?
  14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I know!! Was out with my Best mate and her 2 girls (at the time one was 16 months and the little one was a few weeks old). She needed to get shopping but was having trouble on her own (having had an emergency section) so I went with her. We queued to get a parent/child space which is needed to get the double buggy out and get the babies out their seats safely without smacking neighbours cars. When a space became available, this nightmare in her chelsea tractor (pretty sure it was a porsche cayenne) cut in in front of us. When I got out and asked her what she was up to she pointed to the 18yr old with her and said "that's my kid now **** off". :oops:
    I would've quite happily decked her if it didn't put me at risk of getting struck off!!

We ended up parking at the furthest point of the car park so we had enough room to get the babies out without the chance of damaging someone elses car! Shame not everyone is so considerate! Took us forever to walk to the store cos my friend was in a bit of pain. How Rude!!!
  15. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Here here, well said Millie! A pity these spaces don't get policed too.

I'm surprised supermarkets haven't thought of offering "premium" parking spaces, similar to disabled or parent and child parking, with wider bays, and charge a "nominal" fee by way of standing order or something for regular willing customers. I'm sure they would make a killing.
  16. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

And it would be a good indication for the chavs of whose cars to key!!! I think they should make special spaces wide enough for the Chelsea Tractors but should put them far enough away that the "laydeez" wear out their prada pumps with all the walking!!!:lol: :lol:
  17. Di

Di Active Member

They wouldn't be able to get away with parking in disabled spaces on the street or in paying car parks, they'd get a ticket, so maybe supermarkets should have a "patrol man" for their car parks. You do see some private car parks that quote "unauthorised vehicles will be clamped", so cannot supermarkets do this to car parking abusers? That probably costs though, AND leaves a clamped car waiting to be unclamped still blocking up the space. A nice a3 poster saying "you are unauthorised to park in this space" glued to front window could be a fairly simple deterrent though. Have seen that done before. :p
  18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately it seems to be a pretty common trait in people who drive BMW's in my experience. A lot of them seem to think they own the road just because they drive one, and I bet most of them don't even own them themselves.

I'm sure there are considerate BMW drivers, however I've yet to encounter one.

Maybe it's the chip on their shoulder cos they couldn't afford a proper Merc. :-?
  19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I try not to stereotype drivers by their cars, but most BMW drivers don't do themselves any favours. Like the other day on the way into work - I was following a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder down the M69, cruising at a perfectly sensible 70ish, when some bloke, no doubt called Kevin or Trevor came steaming down the outside lane in his 325d, tail gated the Lambo weaving from side to side for about 1/4 of a mile, until the Gallardo pulled out of the way, then blasted past in a cloud of black diesel smoke. As if the guy driving a 150 grand car would be impressed / intimidated by that kind of behaviour :rolleyes:. This was not an isolated case (albeit seeing a Lamborghini on the way into work is rare!) I see it every day just about. Of course drivers of other makes indulge in tail gating, speeding and aggressive driving, but it seems more often than not that the car nailed to my back bumper is usually German and usually has a blue and white badge on the front.

Incidentally - I's surprised this thread hasn't been pulled yet - a certain Mr Music Man is a former beemer driver... ;)
  20. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I have seen people putting stickers on cars parked in the wrong spaces.
    I have also seen the most wonderful sight of a security guard (who made me look small - and I am quite a large guy) come up with the suggestion "well, if you want to park there I can happily provide a service to give you a legitimate excuse."