Blue John Trombone Solo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tromgod, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Does anyone know where I can get the Trombone Solo, Blue John by Peter Kneale?

I have searched the usual avenues and had no luck so far.

2. livyarker

livyarker Member

could try pm Nas on here as i know he's played it several times and may know where you can get it
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The piece was commissioned and published by a member of Dronfield Band (Mick Godbehere) through Frantome Publishing (Francis Evans - who I believe is based in Cornwall). I'll see Pythagoras (Dronfield Band) tonight and ask him to speak to Mick to see if it's still available. If not then I think you can get copies made.
  4. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Thanks for the info so far.
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm not sure if Francis distributes Frantome Publishing or not, but if it is available he should still be able to get hold of it - I order all of my music through him, and there isn't much he fails on. You can contact Francis by email on

6. NAS

NAS Member

Have you tried 'just music' from Scotland? If not I would try there. My copy came from Mr Kneale himself so im no use as to which supplier mine came from.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... this is indeed an odd one to find! The solo was popular after Simon Kingsley recorded it on the Grimey CD and many copies of the sheet music were sold (and many recordings followed). On Nick Hudson's 1996 'Anthology' disc, the solo is just listed under 'Copyright Control'. Kneale published the horn solo 'Variations On A Welsh Theme' with Smith & Co. but this doesn't mean he did the same with Blue John. There must be someone to check their library to get the correct publishing info. ?? :confused:
  8. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Thanks for all your help. I have emailed Francis Evans at Accent Music and Just Music also, so I will let you know how I get on.
  9. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I know blue john!! fact i've just had a lesson with him!! :)

have passed on all the info i have at present to barry but just thought it was lush thatknow the person the music was written about!! :)
  10. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Thanks for all your assistance. I have just ordered the music from Just Music as they stock it. :clap:
  11. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Well there you go. You learn a new thing everyday!!
  12. Boneman

Boneman Member

Just to let you know . . On the solo part is has it down as being published by 'Ravencar Music' in Sheffield.
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Some more useless information for you then Colin - "Ravencar Music" is named after Ravencar Road where lived the said Mick Godbehere when he published this music. I also think we got an advance (and free) copy from Mick before it was released.
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:confused: ... only got an address ...

Ravencar Music,
    155 Ravencar Road,
    S3 9GN