bloomin' foreigners!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rambo Chick, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

This concerns THE most important thing in banding.....:biggrin:

Just been in for a quick 'pint' of cherry beer in an Irish pub (in grenoble in France) and I asked him to top it up, as it was severly lacking in 'pint-ness'. (nearly half a glass and lots of froth). The barman then proceded to inform me that I was from England (durrr!), that here I should observe the measures (50cl - NOT a pint!:mad: ) and what he had given me was 'a perfect pint'.:-?

ahem us brass banders know what a pint is and 50cl with half a glass of froth isnt!

thoughts please......

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

erm, when in Rome ... (runs for cover :icon_arrow: )

3. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

erm.. not sure what the complete sentence is but think i know what you mean!

I know I'm in France and thats all very well except this place claims to be an authentic irish pub - think they guy who runs it is irish and i must totally disagree that 50cl is not a 'perfect pint'!

I quite happily accept foreign measure but he should call it the perfect 'half a litre!';)

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- maybe he has to stick to French law and only serve these measures? You can make up when you travel to Bavaria ;)

5. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I think if they are going to call it a pint, you should get a full pint. If you're just going to get a frothy half why don't they call it that

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think you'd be rightly vexed if the froth started below the 0.5 L line. As far as the pint issue, I'm wondering if the French use the same 16 oz pint as the US?

7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Shame on you... Cherry Beer???? what on earth..

you deserved your accurate foreign measure.. :)

8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Got to agree with dave here. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love cherry beer, but in an Irish pub?!?! I wouldn't buy cherry beer from an Irish pub. Unless of course I was in Ireland in which case I'd have no choice and I'm sure there are plenty of pubs in Ireland which serve excellent cherry beer but my p(o)int is that Irish pubs outside Ireland are for one purpose only and when I find my way out of this sentence I will tell you.
    To serve Guinness to wandering Englishmen who can then tell everyone about this great Irish bar they found in Milan/Berlin/Sydney/Phuket...:rolleyes:
    BMB
    xx

9. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

It wasn't an accurate foreign measure cos the froth started below the 50cl line!

I like cherry beer! its like liquid sweets!:biggrin:

mmmmm cherry beer slaver ....drool.......

10. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Thank you bass man! my point exactly. I thought I was being normal asking for it topped up and he practically shouted at me and nearly made me cry!:(

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Irish
    France
    England
    pint-ness
    perfect pint
  12. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That's really bad and needs to go straight to the UN executive commitee!!