Blockbuster Security

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, Dec 11, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

WARNING - rant mode -

My mother who is 77 recently received a number of debt chasing letters addressed to another person but at my mother's address - my mother lives on her own and no one of this other name has every lived there.

She returned these letters to Blockbuster marked "not known at this address" (she was a post-lady for 25 years and that's what she'd have done with incorrectly addressed letters) - however this weekend she received a further letter from a debt collection company with all the usual threats etc - so I decided to visit the store and put them straight.

When I asked what checks they had made when they were given an incorrect address, they said as the account had been openned on a credit card they didn't make any further checks - last time I opened an account with a video shop they asked to see a utility bill, driver licence or some other kind of proof that you live at the address you have given.

What is odd is if they had credit account details why the payment hadn't been made by the credit card company - why would you then follow up an outstanding payment at the address given rather than the credit card account?

RANT OVER.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Blockbuster Security WARNING
    credit card account
    account details
    mother
    credit card company
  3. llewellynd

llewellynd Member

The credit card was probably stolen, that is why Blockbusters are chasing the address the account was opened at.

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Good point - although if I'd got a dodgy credit card I think I'd go for something a bit more sellable than a pre-used DVD not even in a nice case.

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

id fraud. Probably some nomark going through bins. Report it to the police.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- maybe the card was declined by the credit card company because the address didn't match the holder's details? I sincerely hope that the fraud has been reported.