Blaenorchy contest south wales

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by RobBari, Nov 21, 2009.

1. RobBari

RobBari Member

championship section results:

1= Pontadulais
    2= Burry Port
    7= Tredegar
  2. 007ish

007ish Member

1= Pontadulais:clap:
    2= Burry Port
    3= Tongwynlais
    4= Cwmamman
    5= Markham
    6= Tylorstown
    7= Tredegar :eek::eek:
    8= Abergavenny

any other results?
  3. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Who was Championship adjudicator? I was not there for the Championship section but at face value these seem very surprising results. Was it by any chance Roy Roe? (see 2nd section results....which I was there for!)
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

See them where?
  5. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I was wondering that, lol
  6. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

I think the results for the 2nd section were:
    1- Lewis Merthyr
    2- Ynyshir
    3- Crosskeys
    4- City of Cardiff
    5 - ????
    - but don't quote me cos I may be completely wrong!

We (Rogerstone) won the 1st section and the Champion Band of the year prize. Not sure about other places but think Blaenavon were 2nd and RAF St Athan 3rd.
    Well done to the winners in all sections.:clap:
  7. Joanna Jones

Joanna Jones New Member

I know some of the results in the 3rd section:-

1) Llwydcoed and also winners of the yr
    2) Pontypool, runners up of the year
    3) Corus - Port Talbot

Soloist Prize went to Nanette Jones - principal cornet of Pontypool.:clap:

Well done to everyone who took part, just one thing please can the venue be in Treorchy again next year...
  8. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Well done Bont! :clap:
    Hope you all had a great night and Squarehead's "runs" have cleared up! :)
  9. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

Certainly has the look of a Roy Roe result.

10. RobBari

RobBari Member

yes it was Mr Roe adjudicating Championship section.
  11. BrassFlyer

BrassFlyer Member

What a result! Must be a few shocked people in Wales today
  12. topeuph

topeuph Member

I'm not going to comment on the Championship section result since I didn't hear any other band apart from my own; But I will comment on the venue. I have heard several negative comments made about holding the contest at Blaenavon, but I think a lot of people made up their minds about the venue before they actually got there.
    Personally, I found the Concert Hall to be a very good place to play, and it seemed as though it was a pleasant environment for the audience.
    There were various hostelries and eateries in the within short walking distance of the hall, the proprietors of which were friendly and always helpful. I think it was just unfortunate that the weather made venturing too far away from the hall a little impractical.
    I think its probably unfair to compare Blaenavon with Treorchy, as Treorchy has one of the best Concert Halls around and is centrally situated within the town. However I think its very fair to compare the Blaenavon venue the with Ebbw Vale contest venue, in which you play in a Leisure centre in the middle of nowhere, with over priced food, and due to over-the-top health and safety regs in the leisure centre, you'll be lucky to buy a pint if you play in the higher sections.
    Whilst I would welcome a return to Treorchy next November, I would also welcome a return to Blaenavon in May instead of Ebbw Vale.
  13. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Hear hear.
    And well done for the instrumentalist prize - no surprise there :clap:
  14. topeuph

topeuph Member

Thank you, the cheque is in the post. :D
  15. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Thought we agreed cash....
    Anyone know the promotion/relegation situations?
  16. critic

critic Member

on 4br
  17. Scongie

Scongie Member

I'm with you all the way on this. The question is how to we go about lobbying for a change......?
  18. dyl

dyl Active Member

Of course, how silly of me.

However, indulge me a little bit here, they weren't on there yesterday when I asked. :cool:

Edit: and having finally found the article on 4br, and read it all the way through, it (the article) just leaves me with a really bad taste in my mouth.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  19. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  20. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Can you clarify Dyl? Is the bad taste in the mouth for the article or the surprise results of Championship and second sections?

Playing for City of Cardiff, I obviously have a vested interest in the second section results. Whether playing previously in Championship section or now second section, if the band has had a bad day or there have been better bands I have usually accepted the results. Obviously we are all affected by the subjectivity of the adjudicators but when, like yesterday, the band play a difficult Test piece very well (not only my opinion) and then to the surprise of most present find themselves in second last place the only question is how the adjudicator came to his decision.

As alluded to in the article this is the second Welsh contest in succession where adjudicators markings have been questioned. In the second section at Burry Port, Lewis Merthyr, played very well in comparison to the rest of the bands and found themselves in 6th place.

Congratulations to all the bands playing at Blaenavon. The nature of banding shows that everybody tries to give of their best and unfortunately there are more disappointed persons than those overjoyed at any contest.