Blaenavon Contest 2010 - 20th November

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by davethehorny, Nov 7, 2010.

1. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Can anyone give me any details of the acoustic of the hall for Blaenavon Contest.

We have decided to cross the border and take part for the first time but we have no idea of what the contest venue is like.

Also anyone know what bands are entered - details received only have draw times but not a list of the bands that have entered.

All information gratefully received.

2. kind of boomey to be honest at least how i remember it lmao! hope its better organised this year!

3. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

Just got back from playing solos with Blaenavon Band. It's a lovely little hall. It has a theatre acoustic, so not lively.

Judge will be able to hear everything, especially overblowing!

Chris.

4. going to love that seeing as il be playing les preludes! NOT!

5. euph77

euph77 Member

Good luck, Dave, see you at your own Contest on the 21st!! :D

6. as far as championship section,
    BTM
    Pontardulais
    Burry Port
    Markham
    Abergavenny
    Newbridge (i think)
    Cwmamman

7. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Any chance of a list of competitors and approximate start times?
    What time does Championship start?
    Thanks.

8. RobBari

RobBari Member

The draw for Championship is at 4.00pm, and supposed to start straight after 1st section, but remember will be on Blaenavon time!

9. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Cheers. Good luck! ;)
    16 - 16:mad: How much are they paid? Inept.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

According to her indoors, the draw for the 1st section is 2:45. Only 3 bands in that section too. Sign of the times eh.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Blaenavon Contest
    November
    section results
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

TBH John that's an exception - the first section is usually the most well supported in any contest - you only need to look at the mammoth first sections at Butlins in recent years to see that.

13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yep, I agree Ian. Here in deep dark South Wales though, where the dino's run the competitions... things haven't changed since the Triassic or even the Jurassic periods. Prize money is about £3.53, and competitions are held in the rear of the back of beyond. :)

14. 007ish

007ish Member

Synic! For information on Contests, venues, results, league tables, and much much more, all you need to do is follow this link to the South East Wales Brass Band Assosiation web site www.sewbba :frown:

15. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

What's the full web address?, .com? .co.uk? I tried all sorts of combos and couldn't find it

16. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

To be fair, John's pretty spot on with this one. there have been very small numbers (3 is quite common) in the 1st section in SEWales for a year or two now. The sections are extremely unbalanced, and without being unkind to the bands who are 'locally' classed as Championship bands, many of them wouldn't cut it nationally in the Championship section.

17. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Great day in the fog and mist at Blaenavon. Lovely hall and really friendly crowd.

Results of the Fourth Section: -

1st AW Parker (Drybrook) 178 pts
    2nd Oakdale 177 pts
    3rd Abertillery & District 176 pts

Third Section

1st Llwycoed 184 pts
    2nd Ogmore 183 pts
    3rd Corus (Port Talbot) 182 pts

18. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

City of Cardiff won the 2nd section. Nationally they are 1st section! :confused:
    Looks like they have made it to the local 1st section now.

Well done to them. :clap:

19. 007ish

007ish Member

Very sorry Paddy. As they say, sarcasm is the lowest form of whit and unfortunately I secumbed to a flaw in my personality. There is no such site, nowhere where you can find out information on contests, venues, results, league tables, and much much more.:mad:

20. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

:clap:

Well done to today's winners, too!

21. results just in.

Champ.

1st- BTM
    2nd- Burry Port
    3rd- Tylorstown
    4th- Markham
    5th- Pontardulais
    6th- RAF St Athan