Blackpool - Future of the Winter Gardens

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Al, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Al

Al Member

It looks like the fate of the Winter Gardens will be secured.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6943337.ece

Which has to be good news for the bands of the North West. The first Royal Variety Performance since 1955 was held there last night too.

The future is looking quite good, I would say. See ya'all in that Spanish Bar soon.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Blackpool
    Spanish Bar
    Winter Gardens
    Royal Variety Performance
    North West
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

It says elsewhere that I've read that it may be redeveloped as leisure and hotels, not kept as theatres though.

4. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

Wish they would do something with it as its a right ****'ole. Mind you, so is the rest of B'pool but there isn't much you can do with that.

5. Frontman

Frontman Member

That was my first thought Andy, however I have since been told that the Opera House, Ballroom and Spanish Hall are all registered sections of the listed building and therefore must remain and can be only used for what they were intended for. What I heard was that the old indoor amusement park (under the huge glass dome) and the huge storage sections including the pavillion theatre at the rear of the building will be updated and modernised as the Winter Gardens Hotel and leisure centre. If this is so, the future of the North West Areas and the Spring Festivals should be secure.

6. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I have heard something pretty similar Dave.
    Bit of a sweepin statement MXB! Ive seen a couple of nice Streets at least!

7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Good news then. It was the local rag with the speculation.

8. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

It's all about perspective....come and see Port Talbot - you'll never moan again....:icon_eek:

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Aww nuts.

I was hoping that ****ing spanish hall would have been demolished before next year's spring festival.

That hall's absolutely apalling. Le Roi d'Ys is a smashing piece of music and it seserves better than to be played in the acoustic of an up-turned bathtub.

10. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Without knowing the specifics of this individual case, generally, the listing of a building does not necessarily preclude a change of its use, providing the use can be accomodated without unreasonably affecting the historic fabric of the building. In fact, in many cases the change of use of a listed building may be encouraged if it secures the longer term future of the building.