Blackburn & Darwen 'new band' appoint MD

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by sopranoplayer, Apr 11, 2007.

1. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

The Blackburn and Darwen band are pleased to announce the appointment of Steve Hartley as the musical director for their newly formed ‘new band’.

Steve has played in Brass Bands for 30 years and has been conducting since 1983. He attended Salford College in the early 80`s studying conducting under Roy Newsome and composition under Goff Richards culminating in a Graduate Diploma in Band Musicianship. Prior to this he played with the Rochdale band and also bands in the North Wales area including Point of Ayr and City of Chester.
    Since leaving Salford Steve has conducted many bands including Todmorden Old and more recently Poulton Le Fylde, Blackpool Brass and Thornton Cleveleys Bands.

Speaking to Steve following his appointment he said:

I am delighted to have been appointed Musical Director to the new band. When I auditioned for the position some weeks ago there was a definite feeling of excitement and a real buzz about the place. I have conducted various bands over the years, but this is the first time I have been involved at the beginning of a bands musical life. I am looking forward immensely to working with the band, and to a happy and successful association.”

Ruth McIver spokesman for the ‘new band’ says “We are really excited about the formation of the ‘new band’ the band has welcomed many new members in the past few months and we are going from strength to strength. We are looking forward to a great future under Steves command and hopefully within the next few weeks we will be able to announce a name for the band.”