Black Peas at Whit Friday

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tgfoxley, Jun 14, 2011.

1. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

I've heard recently of a delicacy 'up north' - black peas - and apparently they are being served in some villages on Friday.

Does anyone know anything about this mystical foodstuff, and if so, which are the lucky villages? :wink:
  2. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

BEWARE on Whit-Friday of the "Phantom Pea-Shooters".

3. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

Lol. I am originally from the midlands and when I first moved here about 15 years ago I also was in wonder at 'the black pea'. So much so that I didn't try them until about 3 years ago.

I would describe them as tasting the same as a regular mushy pea, usually served quite salty round here. More than often served in a polystyrene cup with a plastic spoon. Always served at every bonfire around here in the Autumn. Another special is meat and potatoe pie served with 'pickled red cabbage' which I prefer more than a cup of peas.

I do not know which contests serve them however as I have not been to them all. I would find them more likely at the saddleworth ones than the tameside ones though.
  4. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Tried the red cabbage hot pot at Denton last year. I hope they do have these peas at Tameside contests though; I'd feel guilty not tasting some when I've made this fuss about them! :oops:
  5. Just Phil

Just Phil New Member

Black peas

They have them in Delph in the W I place by the contest arena
  6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Was on the Huddersfield to Stalybridge Ale Train at the weekend and had a sample of them as a 2nd course after a very nice pie and peas on the station platform pub.

They were ok but we had them with mint sauce to liven them up but of course what they really needed was Henderson's Relish - but thats very much a Sheffield thing - take your own :)
  7. WhiteStickMan

WhiteStickMan New Member

Stalybridge Labour Club:clap:
  8. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

They certainly are available in Delph. Add vinigar for a Gastronomic treat.

They do have a tendancy to cause a slow puncture though :shock:!

Whether this tendancy will endear you to those marching behind, or if a punter, those sittting around you is another matter,
  9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Make sure you partake of the "Grotton Growler" as well. Always had great pork pies at that contest.
  10. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

The 'Grotton Growler' :sup:eek::sup

Would like to know why they call it a growler.

I will pick one of those up for my husband who is an fan of pork pies, when Uppermill play at Grotton at some point during the (wet) evening.

If i tell the band about them there could be a sellout though. :biggrin:
  11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Andi, we don't need to know about those kinds of your misadventures...
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Alas, i'm only referring to pies unfortunately, Dave. Yes, Whit friday has been the scene for a number of my improprieties - but none of that nature!

Although I could tell you a story about Andy "Belfast Barman" Stevenson and his misadventures at Newtongrange with the infamous local, ever after named 'Saggy Maggie'. That one passed into band folklore.....
  13. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

<shoots herself through the head!>
  14. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

I think a longer visit to the outskirts of Manchester is in order to sample all these gourmand treats!
  15. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Might have to get someone to fetch them from there for me - don't like staying in that place for too long! :tongue:
  16. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Taste similar to mushy peas, good with pepper and vinegar.
  17. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

I always understood the word "growler" when applied to pies referred to the contents of said delicacy. An East Lancashire urban myth always said you would never see a dog (or a cat for that matter) in Baxenden, the home of a well known maker of pies.
  18. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

Thanks for that Andy. ;)
  19. Laura

Laura Member

HOG ROAST BUTTIES OPPOSITE WHITE LION IN DELPH!!! Just at the top end and they are delicious! ;)
  20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

We finished off with "Salt & Pepper Chips" from the Chinese/chippy just up from Boarshurst Band Club - someone has finally found a way to combine chips and chilli! At last!