Black Mist...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Mar 20, 2008.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Those of you keen folk who caught Wantage playing the number 1 slot in the Championship Section at Stevenage this year may remember that after the final note of the piece (for me on sop, a written B above the stave, fortississimo + long fermata) the conductor gestured that I should stand up - but I didn't, not because I'm modest or anything, because for a few seconds I didn't know what was going on - the black mist had to clear first.

Question is, why does the black mist descend and can it be avoided?
  2. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I get this quite often too, especially after loud top note stuff. Is it technique?
  3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

oxygen deprivation ??
  4. BenPhoenix

BenPhoenix Member

Not exactly sure what you mean by black mist.
    But I get really dizzy sometimes. I think it is lack of oxygen or maybe even dehydration sometimes.
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I get the opposite, (White mist?) however that's usually when I've got to really up the volume on the low stuff. Everything goes a bit grey and silvery around the edges and I get dizzy.

I remember hearing somewhere that oxygen is poisonous at high concentrations, and we all know it can adversely affect you at low concentrations.

Maybe it's the equivalent of a car engine over-fueliing or running lean?
  6. SopranoGod

SopranoGod Member

Its probably soemthing to do with lack of oxygen
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Although blackouts can be caused by various factors, there was a study done in context of trumpet playing ...
  8. I get black mist at contests... Usually by my 6th pint
  9. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

i get the dreaded black mist ... even in rehersals. it feels like im just about to pass out.
    i find it passes quicker if you put ur head between your knees.....
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  10. andyp

andyp Active Member

Last note of Pines of Rome used to do it to me, convinced me I wasn't really cut out for sop!