Black marks down bell!?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hi guys, recently found some concerning black marks that are in a kind of spit dribble running down the inside of my new Euph's bell, and however much scrubbing I do- washing up liquid/ silver cloth, they don't come out... anyone know what they are/ or how to approach getting them out???
    Cheers,

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    marks
    kind
    dribble
    scrubbing
    Euph
  3. Steve

Steve Active Member

Prestige isnt it Alex?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

*Tsk* alex... it's new, you should really look after it :p

5. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Yep, brand new Silver Prestige... Mum's going mental about it, and i'm worried now!!! :(

6. Steve

Steve Active Member

I hate to say it but they are notorious for plating issues!!! Contact wherever it was bought from before trying anything new regarding cleaning methods mate! If you say it is under guarantee (it should be despite the current Besson situation) they will at least take it back and try cleaning it proffesionally themselves rather than refund you!

7. Di

Di Active Member

Can only agree with Steve. Take it back to where you got it from.

8. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Yeah I would agree, this sounds like the brown-spot issue that newer bessons are notorius for!

9. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Thats a bit too literal for blowing your guts through the instrument...

10. Steve

Steve Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Red letter day :D

11. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Perhaps it was the chilli sauce from a radioactive kebab the night before??

I hear Bournville chocolate is also bad for your instrument. ;-)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    marks
    kind
    dribble
    scrubbing
    Euph
  13. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I seem to have a similar problem (?) on my prestige...theres something weird and green right down inside the bell, washing and scrubbing makes no difference at all. I've no idea what it is and first noticed it about 2 weeks after I bought it, so whether it was like that before I played it, I don't know. It's been over a year since I first saw it doesn't seemed to have crumbled into dust yet so I'm hoping its ok :tongue:

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Its hard to say without seeing it, but from your discription its almost certainly a plating issue, from them not de-greasing it or not applying the substrate properly. Either way no amount of polishing will get rid of it - take it back to the supplier and don't take no for an answer.

15. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I have this too, as do a few other instruments I have seen...Not sure what it is, but would imagine it is a depth marker or something of the sort, nothing to worry about!

16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

So you can tell when you are playing underwater? :confused: :oops:

17. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Woohooo :tongue: So Eric's alright after all!

18. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Take it back it will only spread,its something to do with dampness sealed under lacquer.We bought set of Basses after three sets that devloped same problem they supplied us with silver result!

19. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Update (and sorted!),
    Black Marks seemed to be some sort of chemical that Besson used that hadn't been flushed out of the system. Fortunately, (as someone I spoke to told me that the stains were permanent and my silver plating was ruined) my local music shop easily removed them with a silver polish called "Silvo!" How relieved am I! So... if in doubt try a bit of Silvo cream! ;):D

20. Steve

Steve Active Member

Will see if it works on my trombone alex, see how good it is.

Glad you got it sorted mate