Black Dyke - Perth

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Harold.Wells, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

Was at the Dyke's concert last night in Perth.
    Very entertaining programme from a totally awesome band!
    It was great to see "our own" Scots lass, Morvern Gilchrist being featured. :clap:
    Who else was there? What did you think?

2. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I had a bus load of 33 members from Campbeltown Brass up to see "our Morv" and Black Dyke playing last night, we were sitting in the front 2 rows, it was amazing!!! Was wanting the concert to go on all night, altho it was 3am before we got back to Campbeltown as it was! Some superb playing by all.

The soloists were brilliant with their pieces, and what was Pete Roberts like, zinging out from the back of the hall in Riverdance! Really liked the trombone solo "Earth Fury" by Paul Lovett-Cooper (a very talented man), has that been recorded yet?

Was so proud to see her playing and in great order for all the kids that we had brought up to see her and the band in action. Got a few of our very young cornet stars to meet her after the concert, she was giving them some advice and promising to give them lessons next time she's back home, they were just in awe!!!!

Hopefully the concert will give all the wee one's some inspiration and they will realise that it is possible to do what she's done, and to stick with their playing and become really good!

3. jonford

jonford Member

It has been recorded by Brett Baker himself:

http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21263.html

4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

What solo did she play?

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I assume you mean Morven Gilchrist? Was it a full hall for Dyke?

6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

She featured in the slow movement of Four Scottish Dances, lovely playing!

The concert was a sell-out, altho I had 3 spare tickets, I didnt have to hang about long to sell them, they were snapped up quick!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  7. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

I've spoken to several people who were slightly disappointed with the sound of the band on Saturday - complaining that the bass section was too quiet, upsetting the overall sound of the band and making them sound a bit harsh at times.

Turns out that all of these people were sitting under the balcony - a problem with the accoustics in that new concert hall perhaps?
    From where I was sitting, in the balcony, the basses were putting out an awesome sound.

Anyone else got observations on that one?

8. The Rag

The Rag New Member

what was Riverdance like? Did Dyke use any dancers or was it just played? I have heard the concert was excellent

9. SAbandman

SAbandman New Member

I thought Riverdance was superb and yes they did use dancers, Richard Marshall and John Doyle!

Up in the centre balcony, we thought the basses sounded great but the soloists were a bit quiet. In particular, David Thornton's technical stuff looked amazing but got a bit lost on the way up to us