Black Dyke Mills Band transition to Black Dyke Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by John Brooks, Mar 30, 2016.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I believe this change occurred sometime in 1994 but can't find anything definitive on the Internet. I'm a little surprised that the Dyke website doesn't make any reference to that change, especially since it also marked the end of the "John Foster & Son" association.

Does anyone know when the formal change took place?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke Mills Band
    Dyke
    Black Dyke
    Dyke website
    formal change
  3. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Looking at the 4br Contest Archive, they competed as John Foster & Son Black Dyke Mills Band at the 1994 Yorkshire Area and Black Dyke Band at the Finals the same year. Not definitive, but I guess the change came between March and October that year.

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

We currently have the following stylings recorded against them on BrassBandResults for that period. Note that this isn't a guarantee that they were listed on the programme that way - data comes to us by various routes, and it is always possible (indeed, I think likely here) that some simplification has occurred, in one direction or another.

14/3/93 Area - "John Foster Black Dyke Mills"
    4/9/93 Open - "Black Dyke"
    27/2/94 Area - "John Foster Black Dyke Mills"
    10/9/94 Open - "Black Dyke"
    29/4/95 European - "Black Dyke Mills"
    9/9/95 Open - "Black Dyke"
    21/10/95 National - "Black Dyke Mills"
    4/5/96 European - "Black Dyke Mills"
    7/9/96 Open - "Black Dyke"
    19/10/96 National - "Black Dyke Mills"
    1/3/97 Area - "Black Dyke (1855)"

Looking at those, the Open series of stylings seems both anomalous and less informative than the others. If we remove those, we see:

14/3/93 Area - "John Foster Black Dyke Mills"
    27/2/94 Area - "John Foster Black Dyke Mills"
    29/4/95 European - "Black Dyke Mills"
    21/10/95 National - "Black Dyke Mills"
    4/5/96 European - "Black Dyke Mills"
    19/10/96 National - "Black Dyke Mills"
    1/3/97 Area - "Black Dyke (1855)"

Which gets you broadly a confirmation of what you already had, sorry not to be of more help...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've a feeling that was when the funding from Bradford and Bingley started as well.

6. I was at the European's at the Barbican when they announced the change. So whenever that was, was when I think they dropped the mills yet kept the socially acceptable 'black dyke' bit of the name ......

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

That contest was held on 3rd May 1997. But they'd already competed at the Area that year without the "Mills".

I see I misread the question a little - I was looking in my post above for the dropping of "John Foster", not "Mills". "Mills" does seem to have persisted until 1997; 1994 seems to have been when "John Foster" went.

Incidentally, what were they doing announcing that at a contest that they weren't playing at?

8. It was the evening gala concert. Ybs did cry of the celts, then dyke played Jupiter. Excellent gig.

MoominDave likes this.
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I was there! They used three different formations as well: a very open V for 'Jupiter', a conventional layout for the second item (can't remember offhand what that was) and then moved in very tight for 'Deep Harmony'. Excellent evening all round.

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Me too; if I remember correctly the second piece was "Year of the Dragon" - I recall Kevin Crockford particularly being on outstanding form, as well as Chris Jeans (I think) in the trom solo in the slow movement ...
    I remember the seating for "Jupiter" as well - not so much a 'V', but I do remember they spaced themselves out so as to occupy the entire stage space at the Barbican; there were individuals seated some six feet away from their section colleagues - breathtaking confidence!

PeterBale likes this.
  11. YBS did a very well organised entry for cry of the celts, with players arriving just in time to play their entry, and it was excellent, but oh my word Jupiter was immense!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke Mills Band
    Dyke
    Black Dyke
    Dyke website
    formal change
  13. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. This is all very interesting. I hadn't realized before that there was a separation between the dropping of "Mills" and "John Foster". Shared memories of their playing around this time also adds to the discussion.