Black Dyke & ISB: Eric Ball Centenary Concert.

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by sparkling_quavers, May 15, 2003.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

What happen's if I stand still holding the tin and somebody shakes me?

:lol: :lol:

Yes Rachel, see you in Langtry's :?

:wink:

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Your money falls our of your pockets and someone will put it in the box for you :wink: :lol: :lol:

3. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

cheers Rog! I've been sorting music all day!!, we have players from, Thoresby, Carlton main Frickley, Newstead, Long Eaton, Derwent, Matlock, Ilkeston< south Leics co-op to name but a few, lots of them tmpers! could be good, hope someone can take piccies as BBW want some! :wink:

4. Bones

Bones Member

Fraid I might not be going to the concert in the evening now.

Got an interesting gig just come in.

5. satchmo shaz

Yes guys! Rich has a ticket to spare if anyone wants one.......... but he will be there.......... have a guess where?........... in one of the free seats!!..........ON the stage!! well done Rich :wink:

6. satchmo shaz

I put some more info re Sat pm on the site under "players wanted leukaemia concert" but here is some more info

http://www.mansfieldtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=722&ArticleID=655736

cheers shaz

7. Bones

Bones Member

Thanks Shaz. Only doing the 2nd half though. All will become a lot clearer to me tomorrow when I go to rehearsal.

8. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

looks like ill be there toooo

9. SammyT

SammyT Member

Just heading off now - see ya there!!!!
    Well done to all those who played for leukemia, it was great!

10. super_sop

WHAT A CONCERT..............
    thats all i need to say really.
    it was also good to meet some more tmpers
    more to follow, its late and im tired!!
    craig

11. SammyT

SammyT Member

Hi guys
    What a concert it was great. Congrats to richard (bones) who played for black dyke - we are dead proud of you, especially with all the close ups on the screen.
    It was great to meet roger and craig (super sop) and to see rachel (sparkling) again - Hope you did not get back to late :wink:

12. jimothy

jimothy Member

What an absolutely fantastic concert this was! I have to say, though, that people with sweets and plastic bags should be banned from such events. Right throught the quite bits of Resurgam there was some old coffin dodger sat behind me making a lot of noise with a plastic bag. The four comedians next to me had the noisiest sweet papers in the world and the idiot whose phone rang in the middle of the concert should have it shoved where the sun doesn't shine.

13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I reiterate Jim's opening words. 'What a fantastic concert'! The choice of music was excellent and from the opening piece 'The Torchbearers' right to the encore 'Star Lake', both bands gave their all.
    I thought the tributes in between the pieces also added great depth to the concert and hopefully would have given the 'younger' listeners a better understanding into the life of this great man.
    For me though, the rendition of Resurgam was the hightlight. Pity about the light bulb exploding halfway through, but credit to the band, they didn't even flinch! unlike some members of the audience!!

Another hightlight for me was the quartet performance in the foyer from the National Youth Brass Band. Wow!! For those who heard it, you'll know what I mean. The playing was exceptional. Keep an eye out for these youngsters, it won't be too long before these lads and lassies are household names.

And after hearing David Daws performance (at short notice) I wonder how many cornet players have either practiced this morning or just given up!! I think 'Absolutely Stunning' would be an understatement!

It was great to meet with old friends and more tMPers, and I also made it for the afternoon concert in the Market Square. All in all a fantastic day of music making.

My only criticism is with Nottingham City Council. I presumme the person who devised the one-way system doesn't live in the city? It took us longer to find the Concert Hall than it did to drive from Shrewsbury!

:wink:

14. super_sop

What can i say about this concertt, other than my previous post. not a lot really. I have always been a black dyke fan, and have always had them up on a pedestel. last nights concert for me was an experience that i was glad to have had the opertuniyty to attend.

allthough Resurgam, has always been a favourite piece of mine, the highlite for me was the voice of Eric Ball introducing the piece "Journey into Freedom" followed my black dyke playing it. to here the great man himself explain what the music represented gave me a whole new insite into the piece.

And as for David Daws performance of Clear skies, ill hand in me cornet on friday Roger :!:

And what a future the brass band world has, after hearing the youth quartet in the foyer, Briliant

It is also the first time i have ever heard the ISB. FANBLINKINTASTIC!!
    as Rt has already said, the only downside was the "wonderfull" planing of the one way system. thank goodness i dont live in Nottingham!!!

15. satchmo shaz

I can only echo what the other guys have said, what a great day all round! the charity concert in the square was fantastic, massed bands of players from Thoresby, Frickley, Newstead, Stocksbridge, Thorntons, Long Eaton, Ilkeston, leics co-op, and Derwent! Many thanks guys! and also to those who came especially to support and listen :wink:

Then on to the royal concert hall with Dyke and ISB........... absolutely brill!, David Dawes played the cornet like an angel! Resurgam was spellbinding complete with silence at the end.........wow!

16. McTuba

McTuba New Member

I'd never heard Black Dyke before or the ISB. And I'd never heard Resurgam or Journey into Freedom before either. So I had a cool evening.

The best bit had to be Journey into Freedom - that piece of music kicked ass!
    .........there was even a wee Tuba solo in there somewhere for me to enjoy.

:D

17. satchmo shaz

glad you enjoyed it Mctuba! :wink:

18. SammyT

SammyT Member

Wahey well done mctuba for finally posting!!! :D
    It was a brill concert and the silence at the end of resurgam was just well amazing!!!!

19. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

:shock: didn't know that was possible :p :)

20. super_sop

:shock: ive only heard them live 3 times!! :oops: