Black Dyke History on radio 2 Tonight

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by BigHorn, Dec 27, 2005.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

20:00 The Black Dyke Band: 150 Glorious Years

Michael Parkinson presents a celebration of the Black Dyke Band, which has toured the world, recorded dozens of albums, worked with many of today's star performers and has a large collection of trophies.

High in the hills, mid-way between Bradford and Halifax, is the village of Queensbury - once home to John Foster's Black Dyke Mills. There had been a band of sorts in the village for years but in 1855 John Foster, himself an amateur musician, proposed that he should buy a new set of instruments, uniforms, a room to practice in and supply a teacher to make it all work. What he could never have imagined was that eventually the band would be more famous than the mill itself and would continue to exist long after the mill had ceased to produce cloth.

The documentary hears from past and present band members and stars from the wider entertainment world, uncovering the band's colourful past and its recording, performing and touring triumphs, including playing Carnegie Hall - and recording the theme music for Ground Force.

(Courtesy BBC Radio 2 Listings)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Black Dyke Band
    Queensbury
    150 Glorious YearsMichael Parkinson
    trophies.High
    John Foster
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

For sure i will be listening to it.
    Such a GREAT BAND and always will be:icon_cheesygrin: :woo :guiness :woo

4. MickM

MickM Member

Just listened to Dyke's 150 Glorious years, and got a very big lump in my throat towards the end. I was invited to play for Dyke in the 80's by Mr King but missed out because of personal problems at the time! Ah Well! Can't turn the clock back :icon_sad:

Was anyone else shouting at the radio tonight, at the presenter?
    Who the hell is Geoffrey White-ham, and is Phil Goodwin on Euphonium now?? Why insult these great players (past and present).
    Maybe old age creeping up on me, but i was mad :icon_mad: at the time! Put it this way, my next door neighbour knows Geoff's surname now!!
    @120db "Whitham"

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  5. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Dyke

Cant find the 'Listen to the Show again' button for this one, darn it!

6. MickM

MickM Member

Hi Bob,
    Listen Again is still there! If you go to the bottom of the column on the right, and click on "more shows", it's in there! A-Z of all shows.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  7. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Try here

8. MickM

MickM Member

Thanks Derek! I've still got L plates on when it comes to computers! :icon_rolleyes:

9. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Dyke

Cheers Mick and Derek,
    Listening to it now

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I would recommend others to have a listen to this using the links provided by MickM and FlugelD, even if it is only to hear Peter Parkes and Geoffrey Brand's memories of their time there! Even a chance to listen to Maurice Murphy in his playing days (.. if you don't have a copy of 'The Paxton Years' CD).

11. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

What was the piece played in the background when Geoffrey Brand was speaking? It sounded rather like a Gordon Langford march.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Black Dyke Band
    Queensbury
    150 Glorious YearsMichael Parkinson
    trophies.High
    John Foster
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I am listening to it now on Listen Again:
    Such a disgrace,surley someone knew it was Whitham not WHITE-HAM what the hell were RADIO 2 playing at did they not check the correct saying of the name!

Edited out remarks caught by the bleeper. DR:MOD

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2005
  14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Not only did they get those wrong, but the programme wasn't presented by Michael Parkinson - it is actually Peter Skellern - as he announces at the start of the programme.

This is rank incompetence on the part of Radio 2 - you don't get mistakes like this on Radio 4 ;)

15. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Apparently the BBC think the same about the presentation of your posts on here Ian!! (only joking)

:icon_cheesygrin:

For some reason Peter Skellen as choice of presenter didn't seem right to me. I've always 'associated' Peter with Grimethorpe Colliery as he recorded several items with them back in the 70/80's, so whether that had something to do with it I don't really know.
    I enjoyed the programme though, have listened to it a couple of times now. It was interesting to hear the band recording of 1903!! They were pretty good, even in those bygone days. I loved the comments made to Geoff Whitham on his joining the Band. "The Band come first, everything else in your life takes second place" - how times have changed eh!

Don't be too harsh on the BBC, they should be complimented for airing the programme not criticised for making a couple of errors.

:icon_wink:

16. mikelyons

I think Peter Skellern has promoted bands - at least when it can further his own career ;) - so I can understand why he presented the programme. However, don't you think, Roger, that, as they go to such immense efforts to get foreign names correct, they might make the same effort with English names?

The BBC in general are pretty awful at getting local names - towns and villages as well as people - wrong. But they would never do that with even the most unpronounceable of foreign names. Arabic names in particular are very difficult for western speakers, but they usually manage to do enough research to get those right. It's not even as though Whitham is even difficult to pronounce - and didn't they ask him? He did make an appearance on the programme after all!

17. Roger Thorne

You've never listened to classif FM then!

It's a bit like rehearsing music I suppose. You practice the difficult bits, and ignore the simplicities. Then go on stage to make a complete balls up of the easier bits.

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'd echo Roger's thoughts above - I'd much rather have a serious feature on banding with a mispronunciation than not have it all. It's probably one of the problems with doing the voice-over etc separate to the rest, plus the complication of having a Whitely and a Whitham in close succession. Also agree about the very early recordings - the best feature of Jewels in the Crown for me is the early repertoire and comparing the playing styles etc.

19. mikelyons

But Roger, this is the BBC. There are standards, surely ;) It must be admitted, |I've heard some corkers on Classic FM, particularly their traffic bulletin announcers who mispronounce lots of place names. It's what one has come to expect from commercial stations :p

Peter, there's a good chap, get off your high horse before you fall and break something. A man of your age should be relaxing with a nice cup of earl grey and a ginger biscuit, not gallivanting about. :p

Besides, just because us younger ones want to inject a little humour, there's no need for you dinosaurs to go all sententious on us! :p:p:p

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I suppose if Joe Bloggs listened out of curiosity to the programme and found it interesting, that member of the public probably wouldn't know any of the names mentioned on it! The most important thing is that it might attract a little more interest in our movement.

21. Roger Thorne

Did you hear Don McClean's error the other week on 'Good Morning Sunday' (BBC Radio 2). He introduced a choir singing 'Silent Night' in Garlic!!

The mind boggles!

22. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

So that would probably have been a Scots choir, then - "gay-lic" is Welsh, "ga-lic" is Scots/Irish :icon_smile: