Black Dyke have ruined...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BreadOfHeaven, Nov 14, 2003.

1. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

..the piece Contest Music!!! :shock:

The 1985 recording is so good I now cannot listen to any other band play it. (Even the current band on the Heaton Collection) That sublime performance has now spolit my favourite piece for evermore! No one can match it and I just feel myself being let down! :cry:

Anyone else have the same problem???!! What piece? What performance??

I'm new so sorry if this has been asked before!
  2. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Well Mr BreadofHeavan, I too have the 1985 recording of Contest Music and the playing is nothing short of staggering. The detail is amazing and the quality of the sound and performance is incredible.

Unfortunately I havent had the opportunity of hearing the most recent recording(or any others for that matter). I recall hearing it once before at a B&R rehearsal for the 2000Masters. It certainly weren't as good as Dyke's '85 recording.

Tell me. How does the recent recording(s) differ from the '85 one???
  3. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

The Heaton one?? Far too steady and well, boring!! Perhaps a bit harsh but in comparison to that recording it is a bit stale. That's my point though. Every other reading I've heard since, I've found to be stale and with a lack of inspiration. Driving me mad! I love the piece but can't enjoy listening to any other performances.

Right from the start it's just so exciting. And McCann's top C#??? nice!

My old man tells me a story that the Dyke played it at a contest (might be the Nationals 83???) and were winning it out the park until the end of the last movement where the flugel picks it up again. He missed it and Parkes lost the place and it fell to bits and they finished second.

Still the Daddy Test Peice!
  4. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Well it was area piece in '85 and apparently McCann held the Top C# for 15 seconds before the faultless slur to down to the F#.

The music on the '85 CD (as with all the recordings from the time) seems to have so much drive and so much quality.
    It most certainly is one of THE test pieces to be played.
  5. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

Yeah it's a great CD by surely one of the best Bands ever to get together.

I'd love to get to play it one day. Great Flugel part too! :)
  6. amgray

amgray Member

Well, on behalf of myself and all other players on that recording still on this mortal coil - I thank you :lol: :lol: :lol:

No doubt I will be howled down in derision but - when we say "We 'ad a band" - we mean it!! 8)

Seriously though, when we recorded that album we had just done the first ever 'Grand Slam' (Area, European, Open and Nationals in the same year) and we were in pretty good form. I think it shows in 'Complete Champions' (the album title) and even more so in 'Life Divine' recorded the same year.
  7. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

I agree that Dyke`s 1985 performance was awesome, that said my favourite has got to be Cory & the Major`s 1982 winning performance at the RAH.
    Jim Davies` playing in the middle movement is sheer class and I swear that the audience start cheering at least 10 seconds before the final note.
    Do yourself a favour and buy the 1982 Nationals Compilation Album by
    Ian H.
  8. Highams

Highams Member

I remember the RAH contest when Dyke were 2nd. not only did the final section get loose, the bass trombone forgot the big rit on the quavers to the last chord, the look on the Major's face was amazing !

On the that day I have to admit Cory were so exciting, and I had Faireys in the top frame as well under Brand, they were 6th. (they stood the trombones up in the 2nd. movement) but that Dyke CD still stands as the best.
  9. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

Yeah my Bandmaster goes on about the Cory performance but his wife is Welsh and I think that's got something to do with it :lol:

Does anyone else have the same problem with any other piece?
  10. Razor

Razor Member

The live recording by the ISB of Robert Redhead's "Corpus Christi" at the 1994 International Brass Spectacular in Toronto.

Wouldn't stop me listening to other recordings of this piece however for me it's the best.

I'm sure you'll agree on this one BreadOfHeaven! :wink:
  11. Highams

Highams Member

The full results from the 1982 RAH;

Cory, A. Kenny
    Dyke, P. Parkes
    Brodsworth, David James
    Camborne, Derek Greenwood
    Every Ready, Roger Payne
    Fairey, G. Brand

Arthur Butterworth, Noel Cox & Roy Newsome adj.
  12. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

YBS at the masters on the same piece took some beating. It was a privilege to listen to.
  13. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

Yeah Razor the Redhead performance of CC was special but again I can easily listen to other performances.

It's just this one reading that has spoiled it for evermore!!! Not occured with any other pieces. (Maybe Brittannia's Year Of The Dragon!!!)
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not a recording, but a live performance: Dyke playing "Dove Descending" at the Royal Academy of Music in their final concert under James Watson. The emotion of the occasion coupled with the impact of the cornet fanfares only a few feet way and the sublime playing in the nativity section have stuck in my mind. It has to be the benchmark against which I judge any other performance, and it's just a pity it wasn't recorded for posterity so others could see what I mean!