Black Dyke Brass Festival 2010

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by tubalation, Jun 14, 2010.

1. tubalation

tubalation Member

Hi All,
    Can't find a thread on this yet so thought I'd start one.

Having played in the Gala Concert yesterday (June 13th), I'm wondering when the last time there was a 250+ player massed band concert item (excluding the 'blows' at Butlins etc which aren't 'public concerts' in my view).

Congratulations to all the young players at Yorkshire Youth, Lions Youth and Sellers Youth - it was great to play with you, and thanks to Kirton Band and Phillip Wilby for their 140th anniversary march - RM and JS playing Mac & Mort was a rare treat!

Did anyone go to the Saturday concert with Dyke and Ian McMillan? - sounded an intriguing combination to put together

Sunday was only spoilt by the rain (terrible journey back to Nottinghamshire) and the infathomable Leeds One Way system! :confused:

Thanks again to everyone involved

Mike Allcock
    Newstead Brass
  2. Black Dyke Band

Black Dyke Band New Member

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the kind words. Sunday was a fantastic experience, the sound of the ten bands in March Slave was awesome.

Saturday was a great day, starting with the Low Brass Day organised by David Thornton and Joseph Cook.

Here are the two videos from the concert on Saturday night featuring solos from Brett Baker (Dance Sequence), David Thornton (world premiere of Concertpiece by Philip Wilby), Paul Duffy (Only for You by Paul Lovatt-Cooper) and also the Bard of Barnsley, Ian McMillan in Philip Wilby's 'Brass'.