Black Dyke be Worrisome?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eanto, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eanto

eanto Member

With the advent of the British Army Brass Band (BABB) should our top brass bands be concerned? theoretically, I reckon both could enter the Open and the National Finals? (obviously subject to qualification.) The BABB is a professional outfit but then again our top bands aren't far behind.:confused:

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I don't think our top bands will worry much ... how many dedicated armed services musicians are dedicated tenor horn and baritone players? :rolleyes:

3. eanto

eanto Member

The Army folks play French Horns, so basically they can straighten tenor horns on demand! As for baritones... who needs 'em:rolleyes:

4. Blagger

Blagger Member

ouch!
    your not here to make friends then are you ;)

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- heheheheh! You're right about french horn vs tenor horn. Different approach to each! I've not known many who had a great sound (on both) switching between them.

6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

You can hardly call some of our top bands Amatuer anymore! I'm sure they're not quaking in their boots. Yorkshire will still be top of the shop :)

7. eanto

eanto Member

I'm not so sure..... As good as Yorkshire (sponsored) Bands are; can they really compete with full time professional musicians?

8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

The British Army Brass Band could be invited to compete in the Open, and at Cambridge, but to compete in the Nationals they would have to qualify by taking part in one of the Area contests.

I don't think that they would be interested in contesting though.

9. eanto

eanto Member

I disagree. to play at the Open (my first ever live contest this year:clap: ) surely you have to qualify through blackpool ie. trophey, shield.....

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Exceptions have been made for several overseas visitors: it is an Invitation Contest, even if they have seen fit to channel most of the invitations via the Spring Festival, and I'm sure they could manoeuvre things if they wanted ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke
    BABB
    British Army Brass Band
    Open
    brass bands
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- the organisers have invited bands (e.g., 2005, Brass Band of Central Florida; 2004, Dalewool Auckland (NZ)) in recent years to compete in the Open at their request without qualification. ;)

13. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Not necessarily. I remember that Huddersfield Techcol Band (which later became Sellars) made their 1st appearance at the Open through being invited, when (I believe) they were still graded as a 2nd section band.

Then there are the overseas bands which have been invited to compete at the Open, such as the Brass Band of Central Florida.

14. eanto

eanto Member

Corr blimey!! Didn't know. I reckon nothing is sacred anymore. I give up!!

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not a new thing - National Band of New Zealand won it in 1953 ;)

16. MartinT

MartinT Member

I suspect the BABB will suffer from the same problem that university-based bands suffer from, namely a high turnover of available players - in this case not due to graduation, but to postings to far-away places.

Bear in mind also that we've seen one L&SC band recently with a high proportion of Army musicians. They were very good, but I don't think Dyke, Grimey et al needed to "quake in their boots" then, and I don't think a band of 100% professionals will change that situation dramatically.

17. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

Actually the Band of the Blues & Royals and the Band of the Life Guards play tenor horns regularly ~ albeit when they are on their horse ~ so they should be of a good standard.

18. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

I believe it was Staines who had about eighteen or so Army musicians ~ I guess mainly cornets/trombones, euphoniums and basses ~ but just one thought or two ~

They will never have a dep problem ~like most other bands !!!

They should always win the deportment prize at entertainment contests and Whit Friday for that matter.

Should Prince Philip or even the Queen pass away ~ BABB would have to pull out of any contest because they will be practising every step and note of the forthcoming procession !!!

But I do agree, the top bands should have no worries especially whilst BABB have a WO1 conducting ~ why have BABB not enlisted (excuse the pun) the services of a Guards Musical Director ~ some of bandings finest conductors have come from the Army ~ Willcocks, Parkes, Kenny and Renton.

At least who ever conducts BABB has the knowledge that no one can question him or even sack him !!! ~ a position that many band conductors would envy.

19. WagTheStick

WagTheStick Member

I am pretty sure the big boys are not quaking in their boots - but it is nice to be considered in the same class after one rehearsal!

Thanks again to everyone who has given us such complimentary feedback after the weekend. It has been echoed in the Band press and has inspired us to push on full speed with the project - that along with the fact that we had a great time. We will appear at the Action Research Youth Band Contest and are in talks with the English Nationals - both pre results concerts.

Contesting is not on the agenda at the moment. Our aims are simple - to give an outlet to our outstanding brass players (most of who grew up and continue to play with Brass Bands) whilst attracting brass players to consider a career in Army Music. http://www.army.mod.uk/music/index.htm

Will we ever contest? It depends if we get invited - we've got time for a rehearsal before Brass in Concert!

Don't forget our FREE Launch concert 18 Nov - see the post in the auditorium or PM me for tickets - come and see for yourself!

DB

20. WagTheStick

WagTheStick Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  21. Dago

Dago Member

Absolute nonsense!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke
    BABB
    British Army Brass Band