Black Dyke and James Morrison

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by beckyboop, May 23, 2007.

1. beckyboop

beckyboop New Member

Did anyone go to the Bridgewater Concert on Friday night to see (and listen) to Black Dyke and James Morrison? Wow!!! What a fantastic concert!!:clap:

How does James Morrison play all those instruments to a brilliant standard??

I have never heard The Corsair so fast and tight, fab!!!:woo

The choirs and choristers were really good in the African piece, together with the band and Zulu dancers.

I don't know how Nick Childs keeps bringing new ideas to a brass band concert (probably thats why he has the best job - as well as being a fantastic conductor).

I believe the following day the concert was held at the Cadogan Hall in London, was this as good?

BeckyBoop:)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bridgewater Concert
    African
    Zulu
    James Morrison
    Black Dyke
  3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Yes, it was a great concert.

4. Texus

Texus Member

If you get the chance, try and buy Morrisons' CD of his own big band. He plays absolutely everything, and it really is obscene!

5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

To be honest, Morrison is certainly nothing new, although obviously phenomenal!

I played with him in Wigan about 5-6 years ago, then about 3(?) years ago again, and he's been visiting regularly for longer than that. It's just that we (the brass band movement) never really keep up outside our little cocoon!

The african stuff is different admittedly though!

6. sop 1

sop 1 Member

he was at brecon jazz a good few years ago and was awesome!

7. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Completely in agreement with you!! I was filming, so was on a camera, which meant I had to concentrate on the visuals, but I was absolutely blown away by it all! 'We've only just begun' was breathtaking! And the African Sanctus was surprisingly good! Black dyke as always, stunning.

8. beckyboop

beckyboop New Member

It is good for the brass band movement to hear someone playing at the level, not just James Morrison but a high quality band like Black Dyke.

They (Dyke) are reaching out from the brass band cocoon and trying new pieces.

I know a few other bands have tried something new in concerts.

Long may this keep going!:woo

9. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

The Black Dyke Band 150th Anniversary Concert has been one of our best-selling DVD.

Of course, we have high hopes for the DVD of last Friday's concert too.

10. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I have to say, initially, I only went to the concert to hear James Morrison.

The Band's program for the night also made the night very interesting musically. We weren't treated to the usual brass band concert repertoire (or tripe) which only reinforces brass band stereotypes.
    Brass band concert programs rarely appeal to me, no matter how well played (look at the thread on the forum for the repertoire currently being played).
    Unfortunately, programs such as this are in the minority, and to be fair, probably take a lot of cash to realise.

Dyke were on stunning form. Le Corsair was flawless, the opening numbers of each half also flawless and exciting. Their accompaniment of Jame Morrison was very effective (ok, it ain't the same as big band, never will be, but it worked for the occasion).
    The African Sanctus while not the most complicated music for the band to deal with, the show itself, dancers, backing tracks choir and band was quite a show. In Cadogan Hall I'm sure the best seats were in stalls and back gallery as the sound from speakers either side of hall was overpowering in the side galleries (so I'm told)
    Vienna Nights brought back 2 months of painful rehearsals (for me at least) last year. It is a superb piece, played very very well by Dyke.

James Morrisons encore was tremendous too. He played Basin St Blues on trumpet (varying from Louis Armstrong style, to hard bop screamin solo back to Louis style), while comping himself on piano with his left hand... pretty mean feat!

11. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bridgewater Concert
    African
    Zulu
    James Morrison
    Black Dyke
  13. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

We didn't get an encore on Friday night :-(, not mentioning the Riverdance from Dyke (been there, seen it! as they say). Morrison was awesome, The african sanctus was a great specticle, although sitting near the front at Bridgewater we didn't really hear the voices, hopefully the DVD will have a better balance.

14. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

A bunch of us from Derwent made it up to Manchester <beep> .. amazing. I think the 4BR sums it up very well but to be there and hear it live was worth the trip.

He makes it into my TOP 10 live...

1 Arturo Sandoval
    2 Christian Lindberg
    3 Maynard Fergason
    4 Bobby Shew
    5 Bill Watrous
    6 Joe Alessi
    7 James Morrsion
    8 Wynton Marsalis
    9 Hakan Hardenberger
    10 Chuck Mangioni

Also worth taking a look at www.trumpet-stuff.com and see the Morrison section there but for high stuff go to VAUGHN NARK ... AMAAAAAAAZING...

Edit: no need to swear