Black Dyke and David King

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hengla, Mar 6, 2006.

1. hengla

hengla New Member

I sometimes listen to the "Essence of Time" CD by Black Dyke and their performances at the European in 1990 and 1991. Everytime I do that I get completely stunned by the quality of playing and I think that parts of their performances have never been surpassed. As all of you know this was the period when David King conducted Dyke. I have always wondered - what happened between the parties? You never hear a word of their former link nowadays. Isn't that strange? Shouldn't a conductor be credited for such amazing performances although something obviously went wrong between him and the band? Can somone help me out here?

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Read Roy Newsome's book on the 150 years of Black Dyke there is a whole chapter dedicated to this topic.
    some great recordings during this period
    Albany recordings - the music of George Lloyd -English Heritage
    Essance of time - Polyphonic
  3. persins

persins Member

I certainly never knew that Prof David King ever conducted them. Mind you, there isn't any fantastic reason why I should!
  4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Yes there is, the "The Essence of Time" CD that hengla mentions! ;)
    Has got to be my absolute favourite brass band CD!
  5. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Lets be honest though, with the heights YBS reached with David King he's not done bad for himself has he!
    The boy done good!
  6. Bassment Jinx

Bassment Jinx Member

Yeah, I dont think you will get many arguments there. As a conductor, he comes up with great interpretations of pieces.
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

What people also sometimes forget is that he was 2MD in possibly the best ever Dyke line-up, the 1985 band that won European, Area, Open and Nationals.
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

some great performances by Black Dyke with David King i also got a couple of CDS as well
  9. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Was it the ol' domestic card they pulled on him? CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!!!:S
  10. hengla

hengla New Member

Thank you all for your pieces of info. I will certainly get the book about 150 years of Black Dyke. As some of you mention, there are several fantastic recordings with David King and Black Dyke (also when he was 2MD on the front row). Besides the "Essence of Time" CD and the recordings from the Europeans you have the "English Heritage" CD (music by Lloyd), and their performance of "Sounds" on the "Festival of Brass '91" CD. Listen to that!
  11. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

I agree with everyone about the quality of the CD's and European performances being outstanding but Dykes domestic form was not what some would have expected. Given that DK and YBS have dominated the European but never won the National is there something in the performances/sound of the band that appeals more to a European judge than our home grown judges?
    Certainly the sound of Dyke on the CDs mentioned is very different to the Peter Parkes andbefore era or the sound now under Nick Childs.
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

You may be on to something there. Certainly the relatively meagre domestic trophy haul under King would have concerned the Pondashers regardless of European success or critical success of their CDs. I get the impression (and I don't know him so I may be talking nonsense) that Prof.King is much more at home in the more avant garde repertoire and in fact prefers his bands to have a slightly more symphonic, technical approach to brass playing that his illustrious predecessors in the Dyke hot seat. Since European bands, and adjudicators, often seem to prefer this approach (see the 4BR retrospective from Norway recently), and the European set-tests in recent years have probably encouraged it, his success in the European with Dyke/YBS and in Norway with Stavanger could be in part attributed to the fact that he is particularly skilled in producing a "European" as opposed to a "British" sound from his bands.

Any King disciples on here who could elaborate (or shoot me down in flames;) )?
  13. Blagger

Blagger Member

I played under him at Swinton ( RIP ) when we had just got into the Top Section. At that time if I recall correctly his favourite BB piece was Three Figures by Herbert Howells - not exactly " european " in style. What I can add to this arguement is the fact that he was very " sound centered " - i.e he like players to use alot of vib and would often swap parts amongst the cornet line in particular based on what kind of tone suited a particular line.
    He placed a great deal of importance in bringing out certain effects in pieces. I agree with the essence of time performance mentioned above - a superb performance. Also could add Blitz to that ( not sure whether it was an own choice european piece OR wether that was with YBS - just stands out in my mind as being different class when compared to other recordings I have heard).