Black Dyke 150th anniversary concert

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by euphfanhan, Jun 11, 2005.

1. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Did anyone go to this concert??? It was absolutely amazing! James Morrison was incredible. Bring on the 200th anniversary!
    Wasnt quite sure where this thread was supposed to go, so feel free to move it!

2. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary Member

****** awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy's a dream!

I had a couple of niggles about bits - but after Mr. Morrison they're irrelavent.

3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

This thread in the correct place Hanna, so no worries there, but I'm sure we would all like to hear more details about the concert from those who attended.

;)

4. jimothy

jimothy Member

The concert was simply fantastic.

It opened with Queensbury - what else?

We also heard Peter Graham's Journey to the Centre of the Earth. An excellent piece and very well played.

James Morrison was simply awe-inspiring.

I'm not really sure what purpose the dancers were meant to serve in the new Wilby piece - terrific music as you would expect from Wilby, but 3 birds and a bloke wiggling there bums not in time to the music just seemed a bit, wel, pointless is probably the kindest word i can use.

The finale was Gregson's Age of Kings, which is simply wonderful music and was a wonderful finale.

A terrific start to the 150 celebrations. I did feel a bit sorry for the latecomers - still John Maines gave us a laugh about it.

5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Our DVD recording of the concert will be launched at the National Brass Band Championships at The Royal Albert Hall on Saturday 15th October.

6. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I agree with the bit about the dancers...did anyone see when one of the women ended up with her head under one of the players chairs...not quite sure whose it was because they kept swapping places! Mind you, I should be grateful to them, the only reason I heard about the concert is because they were in the local paper and it said they were performing with black dyke!
    What was everyone's favourite piece? I loved all the James Morrison pieces, but I thought the best black dyke piece was cossack fire dance! Although I dont think some people got the hang of the clapping, and got it confused with the clapping for the soloist! Fantastically catchy though!

7. In one word the concert was amazing! It made me realise that yes, i do have a long way to go but it inspired me to try my hardest. James Morrisson was absolutely astounding. I cant wait for the DVD to come out! x

8. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Haha yes in the car we decided we're joining! We may have to resort to blackmail for the time being. ;)

9. MickM

MickM Member

Wow! What a concert! Music, dance, singing, comedy.

Fantastic! James morrison was superb :eek: :clap:
    Black dyke were excellent :clap: (probably get sacked from band on mon. :rolleyes: )
    Dancers and vocalist, well done but not my cup of tea (sorry) :wink:
    Not too sure who they were :?: (Think it was Bluecoats) at the pre concert Concert playing upstairs (sorry, i was in the bar) sounded fantastic. :clap:
    Dyke extra's :clap:
    Well done John Maines :clap:
    Was ken Barlow really there? :rolleyes:

On the downside:-
    James Morrison responsible for me getting home, picking my instrument up and throwing it in the canal :cry:
    Getting a parking ticket :ranting2: (costing me £48 to see the enemy):biggrin:

10. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Me too! I was consoling myself throughout the concert thinking maybe he was rubbish at the euphonium. But no, he picked one of those up and started playing jazz on it! I couldn't believe it. So now I have to resort to the only fact that is keeping me sane, at least we won the rugby world cup!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke
    James Morrison
    anniversary concert
    Wasnt
    thread
  12. Rochdale_Euph/Ben

Rochdale_Euph/Ben New Member

i only found out on the tuesday and it was absolutely amazin both blak dyke and james morrison it was the best thing i have ever paid to go and watch