bizarre question

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellraiser, Aug 16, 2005.

1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Band Ownership

Are there any privately owned bands out there?

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I am sure there have been privately owned bands..bands like Cyfartha ( merthyr tydfil ) , Bikershaw colliery were owned by businessmen , still I don't think there are any Bernie Ecclestones or Richard Branson's out there wanting to plough a couple of million into a band..

3. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Would you buy a band if you won the lottery, Nick?

4. Bones

Bones Member

How are you defining privately owned.

One man with a big pot of cash.

A group of people coming together to form a band, with no ties to any charity or sponsorship.

And yes if I won the lottery I would sponsor a band, or rather a group of bands, by means of a trust fund, to safegaurd them and me against a teddies out of the pram scenario.

5. NeilW

NeilW Member

Stonesfield are first in line if Mr Branson is shopping - he lives about a mile from where we practice in Shipton-upon-Cherwell, Kidlington ....

What does "privately owned" mean in terms of a band?
    Sponsored by an individual?

Neil.

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I would invest in a band if I won serious money on the lottery , set up a scholarship to promote brass playing , make sure that the youth section and training sections were properly managed. I dont think one person owning a band is a good idea , I like the idea that everyone in the band can have a say in the running , someone may have some great ideas.

7. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

My father once donated £2000 to my old band, just to keep it going, and all the extra expense a band incurs from time to time (such as deps fees, new music, etc).....

Does that count?

Andy

8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

One could argue that those bands which have been in continuous unbroken sponsorship for a number of years are privately owned e.g Scottish Co-op or Tullis Russell Mills here in Scotland. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of this in England.

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Uh, uh... His address is "Kidlington Mill" - we bagsy first go!

10. NeilW

NeilW Member

Why was I expecting that, Dave? :rolleyes:

Having looked it up, I can't argue with the fact you're a bit closer than we are - I thought he was Shipton side of Kidlington, but he isn't.

But we're the more needy - you've at least got your own bandhall! :D

I don't think either of us will be in luck though - I've never heard of him having any interest in brass bands

Neil.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Band Ownership
    Ownership
    bizarre question
    bands
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Why don't you say that you want to attempt the world record balloon crossing of the Atlantic with a brass band. Maybe that'll work :)

13. persins

persins Member

Would that entail the band renaming itself "Virgin Brass"???!!!

You never know, it might attract a few more players!!!