Birtwistle's Salford Tocatta

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davetubaking, Dec 9, 2009.

1. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

Does anyone know how I could get hold of a copy of the score? or indeed if there is a recording commercial or otherwise?

I understood Birtwistle was going to write a tryptich of pieces. Anyone heard a rumour about the third Peice?

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Well it's published by Universal Edition, so you could probably buy/hire one from them. However I would imagine Salford University have a copy, since it was written for them.

Unlike Grimethorpe Aria I don't think there is a commercially available recording. I also thought that there were vague plans for a 3rd piece; however Birtwistle's commission fees being quite high (in terms of what bands are prepared to pay) I would imagine it will require a commission from the Beeb or another 3rd party for it to actually get written.

3. Blagger

Blagger Member

I played in the 1st performance. Not sure whether it was recorded at the time. Would love a recording if it was.

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Me too. Although unlike you I have never even heard the piece, and I go out of my way to seek out this sort of stuff. I read that there are more interesting recordings on the way from Fodens (following their Maestro and New Music CDs recently) - so perhaps there is a smidgen of hope!

5. Ian Luxford

Ian Luxford New Member

Was also lucky enough to have played at the 1st performance. Seem to remember that it was recorded by the college dept, but it was a long time ago so i may be wrong. There is a live recording from Grimethorpe thats stored here, http://www.musicpreserved.org.uk/search3.asp?T=M&SM=190&S=A00638&M=OS 0101
    but its not avaiable online unfortunatley.
    Maybe one day some enlightened band will record it.!

6. There was a HB festival at the RNCM in 2003 (I think) and it was performed there alongside Grimethorpe Aria. There will be an archive recording in the RNCM library of the concert.

7. Blagger

Blagger Member

Hi Ian
    What position/instrument did you play? So long ago that I don't remember you !
    I was on Euph - one thing i do remember was that Nic Childs was going to play Solo Euph but it never happened for some reason.

8. heldan666

heldan666 New Member

I played first baritone on that one! Loved it!

9. Ian Luxford

Ian Luxford New Member

Hi Phil,
    Was playing 1st horn, in salford from 86-89.
    Great concert, shame we never got to record it properly afterwards as was
    planned.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

So, for people like me who has known about the piece and never heard it, what does it sound like? Any specific features that make it stand out and what form/design is it based on?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    hold
    commercial
    Anyone
    pieces
    tryptich
  12. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

Thanks for some usefull leads which I'm following up. What I would like to do, whilst there is no commercial recording, is to create a virtual performance. Assuming I can get hold of a copy of the score.

Let's have some impressions from those who performed or heard it.

13. Blagger

Blagger Member

Ahh yes i remember now. Were you in Geoff's (solo horn ) and Ian Peters year (euph) ?

14. fartycat

fartycat Member

There were copies of scores and archive recordings of both pieces in the RNCM library as I studied them.