birthday surprise ideas needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by michellegarbutt, Nov 23, 2007.

1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

It's my mums birthday on Christmas Day and she hates it. When she was growing up she was part of a big family that didn't have much money so she didn't get a seperate birthday present, was told the Christmas cake was her Birthday cake etc. Now my sister and I always try to make a big deal of her birthday. We always give her seperate presents wrapped in birthday paper, a birthday cake etc. We also usually do something like fill the living room with balloons etc. However, this year it's her 60th birthday and we'd like to do something to make it really memorable for her. I've made the cake and we've got her nice presents but after we've bought everyones Christmas presents we don't have much cash left. She is in a wheelchair so we already do most of the housework etc and certainly over the holiday when we go to stay with her we do all the cooking.This means we're now stuck for an idea to make this day special for her. If anyone has any ideas we'd love to hear them
  2. David Mann

David Mann Member

How about a special photo album / scrapbook with pictures and messages from the family, news headlines from the year she was born, mementos, space to keep 60th birthday cards etc. Materials won't cost very much but time and TLC are needed to do it right. My auntie Barb is brilliant at this kind of thing!
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

My daughter was also born on Christmas Day, and in addition had to put up with the years when we were working for The Salvation Army and had very little time free for her on the day itself. When she was smaller, we used to give her a "party day" at the start of the month, when she had her presents etc.

What she's asked for this year is a tradition "kids' party tea", with jelly etc. Why not forgo your usual christmas dinner this year, but do a special tea for your mum? - you can always save the dinner and trimmings for Boxing Day or New Year.
  4. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I know the prob. It's the same for my Nan, It's her 80th on Christmas Day and the family are getting together to do something different. We are all going out to a five star hotel for lunch. It's costing a fortune, but we want to make her feel special. Shame it is on Chritmas Day, but it's something that can't be helped, don't think i would like it. We've always got her seperate presents and even had a party in the eve with birthday cake.

I'm sure photos always go down well.
  5. Di B

Di B Member

It doesn't cost the earth to give the best presents. How about a 'This is your life' type event? That way, you could make the big red book full of photos and stories and see how many relatives/friends etc would play along and come and do their interview and relive happy memories etc.

If you did this early evening, then I am sure that people would be prepared to come around - and if they didn't have time, they could send a video message instead.
  6. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Ask some of your band to come around on Christmas morning to play her favourite hymn, a Christmas carol and Happy Birthday....don't forget to video her reaction. Best of luck with your choice.
  7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I'll discuss them with my sister over the weekend and hopefully we'll decide on something