Birthday pressie

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by flower girl, Oct 9, 2006.

1. flower girl

flower girl Member

Hi, i'm wanting to get a friend a really nice posh conducting baton for his birthday, i'm looking to spend around £150- £200, does any one know where i can get a really posh/nice one for around this price?
  2. glidng_slide

glidng_slide Member

I was in a band once where the conductor used a chopstick, maybe you can take the band out for a meal, and let the your friend take a chopstick home ;-)
  3. vonny

vonny Member

That's a bit pricey, seems a shame to pay such a lot of money when on occassions the baton might end up thrown across the band room.
    Make him one instead :biggrin: ;) :p
  4. ratley

ratley Member

Save your money - nobody ever looks at the conductor anyway......:biggrin:
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Blimey, I wish you were my friend! Although given the number of batons I've wrecked by accidentally catching the edge of the stand it may be best that you aren't - I could never live with the guilt! :(

Trevada Music sell batons that are up to about £80. I've never seen one more expensive than that though. I'm sure your local music shop (Band Supplies / Banks Music???) would have similar ones.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  6. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

whats wrong with a pencil?
  7. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

our conductor used a pen... and ended up having to use nail polish remover to get the ink off her hands... maybe a pencil isn't such a good idea? :rolleyes:
  8. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

but pencils dont have ink.....
  9. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Just think about us poor Horn players, if conductors loose control of their batons they are aimed straight for us. Maybe buy a baton and some protective headgear for the horns.
  10. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

lead poisoning... :rolleyes:

anyway, £150 seems expensive for a baton!
  11. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Just duck down. Then the baton will fly straight into a bass bell.:rolleyes: On no account attempt to catch it in your teeth.

For that money you cuold buy one hand-carved from mahogany, with gilt inlay. Not something I'd waste on our conductor...
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Use plastic straws ... cheap, colourful and unlikely to hit or hurt horn section when accidently thrown! :p
  13. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Blimey £150 - 200 quid? for that sort of money I'd want one thats turn my conducting in to the same as Nick Childs or David King's! I've got students who have paid less for their cornets, horns etc than that!

I spent £40 on a really nicely balanced one from Trevadaand then one of the kids at my wind band broke it. I rounded the end of but its not quite the same
  14. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

Who is this lucky guy?

This one looks nice!
  15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'll sell you an old police baton for that money. It would have several advantages. The weight would prevent Him taking anything too fast. He could beat the Trombone section with it (something every band needs) and I could have some money to waste. :)
  16. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Being a plumber, i could make one out of copper tube, and at 3mtrs long he could reach all members of band, I agree with "vonny" bit pricey, you can almost get a new MD for that,

Have never been known to be serious
  17. vonny

vonny Member

Oooooo can I see it when you've made it Dave? ;)
  18. Dave, I'm glad the 'kitchen sink' idea is being extended to others in the band, I mean as the MD is the most important person in a band, percussion aren't far behind. :)

Is it really a 'friend' or do you earn too much?
  19. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

still in design stages, but if successful, MD could use it to blow down and wake up trombones and percussion at same time,then no need to waggle stick, so no need for baton :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Got it in one:tongue:
  20. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

£150 is very expensive. You can get very good batons which are evenly balanced for as little as £50