BIRDLAND Arrangements

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ROBTHEDOG, Oct 19, 2007.

ROBTHEDOG Member

2. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

It's an arrangement of the Maynard version.
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Yep it sure is and we are doing it at our next concert

ROBTHEDOG Member

Ian, ---- Who's doing the screaming trumpet got Simon Lenton lined up !!! -

Thanks would appreciate a listen..
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'll look forward to that then :hammer
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Philip Sparke also has arranged this for band.
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the Sandy Smith arrangement at all, but the Philip Sparke arrangement is a belting version if played properly.
  8. Oh no, Philip Sparke! Birdland already has a rubbish ending
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Not sure you are yet qualified to make such comments my young friend. By all means offer an opinion on what you like and dislike, that's encouraged... but as a new member to tMP, criticising one of our most accomplished, published and eminent brass composers is not the best way to make an entrance eh!

I appreciate you are just 13, and to become Principle Cornet of your youth band at that age is certainly worth wholehearted congratulations and a pat on the back, but humility, respect, and an appreciation of those far more experienced than yourself would stand you in better stead. :wink:
  10. Sorry about that, but as I said in another thread, I just get frustrated when you get a brilliant composer/arranger like Sparke but just some parts of the piece don't do justice to the rest.

Anyway, sorry about that
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well I disagree with that. The ending of Sparkes arrangement is IMO a highlight of it if played properly. I've played birdland in several different groups - wind band, big band and brass band and the Sparke arrangement is right up there with the best.
  12. GJonno

GJonno New Member

I'm with ROBTHEDOG on this one.

Love Sparky to bits in the main, but (to my mind) Birdland just doesn't cut it when compared to Maynard version.

On the other hand though ............... There ain't many brass bands out there who can boast a 'Maynard' type trumpet clone are there???

Horses 4 courses then is it?
  13. I nevery meant to say that Philip Sparke was bad, he is an absolutely excellent composer/arranger - I just think that the endings aren't as good as the rest of the piece

He's brilliant
  14. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Birdland is a cracking piece - I have played the Sparke arrangement, but loved listening to the BBCFlorida version - superb.
  15. jamieow

jamieow Member

I've played an arrangement about 10 years ago - think it was arranged by James (Jimmy) Lynch...??..?
    If I remember correctly it was v good...
    maybe someone on here knows / remembers more....