Billy Joel

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chris Sanders, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Do you have Billy Joels new album, if not, then why not?

I completely forgot how much I loved this guys music? He's a living legend!

Everybody should own a copy of Piano Man!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  2. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

No arguments here. Did you ever hear his articles on Beethoven? Fantastic.
    I love his Rootbeer Rag....been trying to get close to that for years, but to no joy.
  3. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Ha, I love the way he credits him on This Night as if it is some collaboration, im told he does lectures on Beethoven?

Rootbeer Rag reminds me exactly why I never bothered to even try to learn piano at college!!
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

There are some magic moments on all his albums. I really like An Innocent Man to this day - it was that album that got me into Billy Joel. It was incredibly lyrical music at a time when dance music was beginning to kick in, and refreshing as a result.

My favourite music from Joel is Prelude/Angry Young Man from Turnstiles, but my favourite lyrics are from Everybody Loves Yopu now, his first album Cold Spring Harbour.

"Aah, they all want your white body!
    And they await your reply.
    Ah, but between you and me
    And the Staten Island Ferry,

So do I... ... ..."

5. joelrn

joelrn Member

I went to see him at the M.E.N arena last Wednesday and it was awesome. As well as being an incredible musician he's a brilliant entertainer and performer and gave us well over 2 hours of music-no support act!
  6. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

IIRC - the George Martin series about popular music a few years back - Billy Joel did about 15 mins of Mozart, pointing out where he gained inspiration for some of his own songs. And his playing was ace (sorry, cant spell excelant this time fo nihgt...;))

(And he got divorced from Christie Brinklie - muppet! :-?)
  7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Is the new album a compilation of stuff already on existing albums?
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- yup, as advertised on telly!
  9. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Piano Man and An Innocent Man are great albums - I just love Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.
  10. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

I saw him at Sheffield on the 17th (?), well, a Monday night. Ben, my Son, bought me two tickets for my Birthday earlier in the year.
    This was the 9th time I've seen him and wasn't dissapointed in the least.

An absolute professional who can still actually "entertain". Everyone in the audience felt that they were involved and the music was an absolute treat. I can't believe how many album tracks he delivered, all the good stuff that I thought I'd never hear live.

The band were well organised and it goes without saying the sound and lighting were perfect.

I actually met Billy, on the release of "River of Dreams" I won a couple of tickets through Radio 1 to go to a Q&A Seminar in London. I managed to chat with him for about 5 minutes on the topic of his arrangements and how much or little input he actually had in them himself.

Billy Joel is someone I've followed for nearly 30 years now. The one thing that can definately be said of him is that, no matter what mood you're in at the time, he always just seems to have the right song for you.

I arranged a selection for band some 10 years ago, though I did nothing with it because of copyright, however, I may be inspired to now start writing a few letters regarding permissions!!

He really is a true talent in songwriting and performing.

I wonder if I'll see him again....?