Bill Gates is not the devil

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by johnmartin, Jan 25, 2005.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

We all may have our own thoughts and opinions on the man but I found this heartwarming story whilst browsing the BBC news website. Just one thought, imagine what it must be like to be able to afford to give away $750million.
  2. ComposerAndy

ComposerAndy Member

If you think about the amount of money he must have, that's probably nothing.

TIMBONE Active Member

I must admit, I too was quite impressed, £400,000,000!!!!!!!!!

How much money has the man got?
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Too much
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Gates is worth, I believe, about $40 billion USD. But a lot of his net worth is in things like Microsoft stock options and other non-liquid assets. This is a considerable amount of cash to donate, even for someone with his resources.

He does get some advantage from the donation, as the US Congress has passed a bill allowing donations to tsunami relief before 31 January to be reported as if they were made in 2004, reducing income tax liability.

It's still an impressive donation, and should be applauded regardless of mow much of his net worth it represents.
  6. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

BillGates is not the Devil

Should a donation of this magnitude to an undoubtedly deserving cause depend on one man's whim and fancy?
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. There are thousands upon thousands of "deserving causes". Mr. Gates choose to use his money in this fashion. I don't see how anyone could argue that he does not have the right to dispose of his assets in any way he sees fit.

The shameful thing to me (speaking as a US citizen) is that the US Government could only come up with $350 million, an amount that Gates, on "one man's whim and fancy", has more than doubled.
  8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

To be fair to the guy, he has earned his money - remember that the majority of his wealth is in shares as Microsoft owner. His actions are very commendable, well done Mr. Gates.

Whilst $750m may not be much to him, think of the difference it will make to many thousands of people.

p.s. If I remember correctly, this is not the first donation from Bill Gates, I believe he has given many millions of dollars to AIDS research recently, and possibly more too....
  9. rutty

rutty Active Member

A cynic would say that this is more of a PR exercise than anything else. Microsoft have come in for a lot of stick over recent years - their almost monopolistic stranglehold on the PC market has resulted in huge profits but accusations of unfair trading practices. Perhaps this is just an attempt to offset the balance.

Fair play to the guy though - he get's plenty of bad press, I suppose I shouldn't begrudge him the benefit of the doubt here ;)
  10. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Doesn't change the fact that he's made that money by underhandedly suppressing his competition and producing substandard software.

Bill Gates gives with one hand and takes away with the other. Cultural treasures such as part of leonardo da vinci's works are stashed away in his private collection not to be seen by the public.

It is in the interests of the incredibly rich to give money to charity as the tax breaks involved are significant.
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think we ought to give the guy a break - $750 million will have a massive positive effect on this cause. No doubt he can afford it, no doubt he we be getting some considerable tax consessions from it, and it may also be viewed as a positive publicity stunt, but the fact remains that this donation will do good to those in need. And he could've just as easily kept hold of it...I bet there are plenty of other people in his situation that would.

So what if Gates has been a ruthless buisnessman in the past? Can you name anyone who has even come close to his level of success without being ruthless? Nice doesn't make money, which is maybe why most of us are "monkeys" and not "organ grinders"!
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Just thought I'd point out that the donation came from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and not Microsoft. Microsoft do not directly gain anything from the actions of Bill Gates and his wife. As far as I know the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation was set up from the Gates own private funds and is nothing to do with Microsoft.