Bill Baileys Remarkable Guide to the Orcestra

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by NeilW, May 12, 2009.

1. NeilW

NeilW Member

Don't know if anyone else saw this on Saturday, but I thought it was good.

"Bill Bailey joins forces with Anne Dudley and the BBC Concert Orchestra for an evening of his music and comedy.

Using both contemporary and classical references, Bill Bailey explains, in his unique and hilarious way, the nuances of how the orchestra works and the lesser-known influences of various classical composers.

Also included are some of his own original works, rearranged and performed by himself and the orchestra under the guidance of musical maestro Anne Dudley."

William Tell overture with overtones of Cockney music... The Swan played by 4 players on tuned cow bells... What the bassoon really is playing ... Dr Who theme ... 70's cop-show music.... etc etc.

Available on iPlayer here (for a while at least)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bill Bailey
    Anne Dudley
    Bill Baileys Remarkable Guide
    Who
    Orcestra
  3. on_castors

on_castors Member

It was entertaining enough for non-musical friends to "tolerate" me making them watch it! ;-)

It started off as another "Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra," with a bit more wit; but soon (after just Flute, Oboe, and Bassoon), went off to be a heavily orchestrated repeat of Bill Baileys' previous performances on Video/DVD, (a very odd ball outlook they are too) which I have already seen!

I like him, but unfortunately when delivering his act, he is a bit of a one-trick pony, and tends to do the same content, this time with subtle variations, and a lot of orchestral arranging too!

4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I saw most of it saturday and watched it again on iplayer. Fantastic! I wish I'd known it was on, I would have tried to get tickets!

Have a banaaaaana! :clap:

5. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I've watched it 4 times today at school - using it to teach children about the instruments of the orchestra. They loved it! Especially Belgian Jazz Doctor Who and Bassoons that Love the Bee Gees.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hats off to whoever arranged the music for the programme. Very well designed and suitable for general listening!

7. TubaGeek

TubaGeek Member

Absolutely Brilliant - The man is a genius!

8. Bungle

Bungle Member

I was an excellent program and my 15 year old daughter watched it all the way through. My bother-in-law came down to visit the next day and said my 15 year old nephew watched it as well. So it definitely ticked the boxes in being interesting for kids. I did hear rumour of a UK tour.

9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I saw part of it to (stumbled upon it while zapping), and I liked it very much!

10. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

My kids love Bill Bailey's programmes and often subject me to his humour - could never get it myself :dunno, but I saw this and thought he was great! In Blackpool at the time for the comp so made a quick call home and got the eldest to record it! This man has gone way up in my estimation... Not as daft as he looks! :clap:

11. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Imagine if that version of William Tell was used in Brassed Off!

Fantastic.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bill Bailey
    Anne Dudley
    Bill Baileys Remarkable Guide
    Who
    Orcestra
  13. Bones

Bones Member

mmmm, trombone as the bringer of joy..... liked it a lot.

14. Hells Bones

Don't forget the loose lairy uncles of the orchestra!

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If I paid attention to the start of the programme (or the closing credits) I would have realised that Anne Dudley provided the scores. Favourite bit was the Bee Gees bassoon playing exposure. Great example of the use of redundancy in score density ... and funny too!

16. Hells Bones

And does it show where the composer of HDIYL got the musical structure?

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

More difficult to prove but cannot be dismissed. Amazing what can hide in the subconscious and emerge as something unexpected.

18. Bungle

Bungle Member

19. Hells Bones

I think the Oboe player has a lovely tone. Beautiful.

20. Hells Bones

Wasn't there a pop song writer who came out a few years ago saying that he had written pop songs based on pieces written by classical composers.

If you listen cosely all three times, you can actually hear what the bassoon is doing.

21. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

I always knew us trumpeters were the more serious and boring ones ;-)

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you weren't told that it was there, would you have sussed it out? I certainly wouldn't have!