biggest trade show

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

Which contest has the biggest trade show?

Based outside the UK, I usually don't get to try out different models and makes of instruments. I generally have to order straight off the internet or by phone, which is not ideal.

However, if there was one event most suppliers attend, it might be worthwhile making a trip.

Any suggestions?
  2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

The north west areas / spring festival held in Winter Gardens in blackpool usually have quite a selection of vendors on the trade stands. LSC areas is ok.
    National finals and british open also.

Can't say for any other area contest as I've never been.
  3. Martin

Martin Member

I know it's a bit late for this year now, but I was really impressed with the trade stands at Butlins. I don't think there was much you couldn't get.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yes I'd agree.
  5. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Thought there wasn't any trade stands at Blackpool last time? Or did I imagine that?
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Having attended contests in the 1980's and then again in the 2000's, I've noticed that there seems to be fewer trade stands than there used to be. I remember at the RAH in the 1980's there was a trade show spanning two rooms at the Imperial College and further traders in the RAH itself.

I think that us punters are probably spending less at the stands nowadays and more on the internet. The last few band/music related things I bought were online and I think a lot of us prefer to do it this way now. The last big contest I attended was last year's Open. I made the effort of visiting a cash machine in order to come home with some cd's, but in the end I couldn't be bothered to flick through the hundreds available on each stand - especially as they never appear to be in any order!

Whereas 20 years ago, our little niche market was served by a few retailers who could only advertise in the British Bandsman, now we have infinite possibilities with which to spend our money. I've just bought a new mouthpiece from Mouthpiece Express in the States - I couldn't have done that 20 years ago!
  7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

If you fancy a short European hop, I can recommend Musikmesse at Frankfurt in March. It is the one of the largest music shows in the world and virtually all the brass instrument manufacturers are there. Plenty of time to try out instruments. I have been to Frankfurt on few occasions for work, and its pretty impressive. I even met Slash from Guns and Roses in the guitar section!

Failing that there is the London Music show held in June/July time.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. Despot

Despot Member

Thanks everyone!

I'm actually now thinking of Musikmesse in Frankfurt, if I can get a few of the lads to travel. That way there'll be a bunch of us with not a word of German between us, instead of me on my own!
  9. Di

Di Active Member

You're right, there were no stands last year. From speaking to one of the stewards, I think this was due to the double booking with the Cheerleaders. Hopefully, they'll be back this year. Discussion about it here.
  10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

In years gone by, when the foyer area was open to non ticket holders, there were a number of thefts from trade stands. I don't think many bandspeople would be so blatant, it was probably some of the lovely local children....

Soon to be seen on ebay: bands new cornets with no cases and the price tag still on! :mad:
  11. Clarkey

Clarkey New Member

There are loads of trade stands at Butlins.