Big Band Style music stands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Richard Orme, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Richard Orme

Richard Orme Member

Hi all,
    Can anyone suggest where I might be able to purchase any Big band Style music stands from ?
    R.A.T stands do some really nice ones, however they do seem pretty pricey.
    Cheers,
    Richard

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

What about making your own....or getting a chippy to do it.

We had some marvellous wooden ones at the old Imps bandroom in Rothwell. Some single desk and some double....the graffiti was, in places, like a who's who of brass bands...comments about well known players and conductors.

Aye lad....them were't days.

Sud

3. Frosty

Frosty Member

Big Band stands

Richard,

I'll get you the number of someone who makes them tomorrow and pm it to you.
    All the best.

Frosty

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Every big band I can recall playing with seemed to have a set of the home-made variety ...

5. Ankanala

Ankanala Member

If you ring my father, Arthur Morrison on 01642 326161, he may be able to help you. He has made quite a few of them over the years and definitely has a full set, but I think still uses them for a school swing band he runs. However he will be able to send you a design that is not difficult to knock-up.

Alan Morrison

6. Richard Orme

Richard Orme Member

Will do thanks Alan, sorry its been a while getting back you guys its just been mayhem lately...thanks for all responses

7. Richard Orme

Richard Orme Member

Oh and Frosty

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  8. Bigbandstands.com

Bigbandstands.com New Member

Band stand alternative!

Hi Richard,

Check out our stands, we are musicians manufacturing professional stands for musicians - they are NOT hand made, but are professionally designed and pressed.

You can view them here - http://www.bigbandstands.com

Cheers

Derek :)

9. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Just as a matter of interest, why would you want them? Having played in and depped for many big bands, these style of stands really cause issues for me. I'm not massively tall at 6'1" but trying to sight-read from these on a gig always gives me a pain in the neck - literally, they're just to low! I can either play to the floor, which is not the way to play big band music, or strain your neck!

Whoever invented them needs shooting! :eek:

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I admit when I first started playing Big Band gigs many years ago I also had problems with the stands, but, over time you get used to it, I think. Also it varies from band to band. If they're all the same height, then yes they are a problem for trumpets when standing to play, but most bands I've played with have higher versions for the trumpets.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Big band Style
    R.A.T
    Richard
    Big band Style music
    T stands